Scratch built 1/32 SS Wilton Castle

• Thread starter Deleted member 3568
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3568

Hi all well since my kit building seems to be getting very shabby i thought maybe going back to scratch building may get them back on track I had a choice of plans to pick from and I narrowed it down to 3 possible
2eqdloi.jpg

291erfm.jpg

I eliminated the St Louis Belle as I want a fairly quick build not a three yr jobbie also I eliminated the Kitty as it was a little too simple so I opted for the WC
28s0bp3.jpg

w169th.jpg

Normally I like to build large scratch builds but due to space I'm reducing this by 50%
First problem is that the keel at the reduced size is very flimsy so I've changed the plan a bit to give some strength.
nwcvi9.jpg

2dgpajc.jpg

2wrd72o.jpg

D

Deleted member 3568

Hi all I don't know if anyone has any better methods but this is how I did the rings for the paddle wheels on the Pamela 3
23wk612.jpg

x4i68h.jpg

23jk8wj.jpg

11jp3j8.jpg

dpe0r7.jpg

2agj7n5.jpg

kasaxg.jpg

Keep the centre bit to help with centering the spokes
2i92ebt.jpg

2i8dh95.jpg

2my97c6.jpg

D

Deleted member 3568

Hi all this is designed for electric motor rc but since I'm doing it as a display model I thought I would have a go at making an engine for it (Not a working one I hasten to add)
I decided to try and build this for it
23vymo3.jpg

Obviously it has to fit in the ship so I've just made it a gazillion times harder as I have to make it a lot smaller to fit in the ship. I thought I would try one of the simpler things to start with, this bit.
11w7kom.jpg

35hh7dc.jpg

2dv62y9.jpg

dcpxky.jpg

2j0f5ar.jpg

2ly5zlz.jpg

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
nice start will be keeping an eye on this one :smiling:

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Looking Good,

For cutting rings, for another purpose, i built a simple jig for my router from MDF.

D

Deleted member 3568

Painted the inside with pva glue to help stiffen it all up before adding filler.
b4f8lz.jpg

eug4zl.jpg

Can anyone guess what this bit will become
b99ag.jpg

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
coming along very nicely,looking good,:smiling:

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
looking good so far,coming along nicely,:smiling:

D

Deleted member 3568

Hi all well it's starting to look more like a ship, needs some more filling but definitely getting there.

33p4t8n.jpg

4trfyb.jpg

Someone suggested an upright boiler and seeing as how there is no room for stoking the boiler with it in place.

2q3zle9.jpg

I've decided to have a go at doing an upright boiler, I mean the chimney is not even on this boiler yet so if I added that there would be even less room.