Sd.kfz.7/1

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Given this has an armoured cab I have included it here. Admin if it's in the wrong place can you please move it.

This is the next project on the bench. It is the Trumpeter Sd.kfz.7/1 with Sd.Anhanger 52.

DSCF3876.JPG

The plastic is in a light grey and the mouldings look well detailed with little or no flash. Rather than bore you with lots of sprue shots I have included a picture of the sprues and etch etc that was included in the box.

DSCF3877.JPG

If anyone would like to see any of the sprues in greater detail shout out and I will post a pic.

Please feel free to follow along and if anyone has built this before even if its not the trumpy one please keep me on the straight and narrow.

cheers
Scottie

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
I built the 2cm flak version of this Trumpeter kit for Dave's half-track GB. It gave a nice result but had issues :rolling:
I look forward to seeing your take on the kit. I have no doubt you'll make a great job of it.

Reactions: JR

Panzerwrecker

SMF Supporter
First Name
Los
You’re a brave man Paul.

I'll follow along as this is one version I havn't seen built

Don't hestitate to check out some of the pittfalls and issues I found with these Trumpeter 8 tons. For build issues and fixes with the chassis on the late cargo version https://smallislandscalemodels.blogspot.com/2022/12/ and for general info on the armoured cab Flak 43 variant https://smallislandscalemodels.blogspot.com/2022/03/

The construction stages can be challenging but once you make a few of these they do become a lot easier to build.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I'm in. Dave
Good to have you along mate.
I built the 2cm flak version of this Trumpeter kit for Dave's half-track GB. It gave a nice result but had issues :rolling:
I look forward to seeing your take on the kit. I have no doubt you'll make a great job of it.
Jim, Thanks mate, what issues did you come across?
Always welcome Mr Smifff.
You’re a brave man Paul.

I'll follow along as this is one version I havn't seen built

Don't hestitate to check out some of the pittfalls and issues I found with these Trumpeter 8 tons. For build issues and fixes with the chassis on the late cargo version https://smallislandscalemodels.blogspot.com/2022/12/ and for general info on the armoured cab Flak 43 variant https://smallislandscalemodels.blogspot.com/2022/03/

The construction stages can be challenging but once you make a few of these they do become a lot easier to build.
Los, Thanks for the links mate. If mine turns out half as good I will be happy.

Graeme C.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
I'll pull up a chair Paul, there are some photos of knocked out armoured cab half tracks with flak guns, be interesting to see what you do with this one.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
The main issues as I recall were ....
Seam lines and misalignment of the two halves of the moulds.
Very tight attachment points. Often holes were too small to take the peg on a part.
Trumpeter just love using 5 parts when 1 would do. Good for detail but made assembly fiddly.
There are some accuracy issues but I happily ignored them ;)

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I'll pull up a chair Paul, there are some photos of knocked out armoured cab half tracks with flak guns, be interesting to see what you do with this one.
Cheers Graeme, good to see you.
I'll join the growing crowd.
Welcome aboard mate.
The main issues as I recall were ....
Seam lines and misalignment of the two halves of the moulds.
Very tight attachment points. Often holes were too small to take the peg on a part.
Trumpeter just love using 5 parts when 1 would do. Good for detail but made assembly fiddly.
There are some accuracy issues but I happily ignored them ;)
Jim, I am coming across the things you have mentioned.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
As Jim has said on a previous post this kit does have issues and needs a lot of test fitting and fettling. One of the worst things are the large ejector pin marks that need filling. I can see a lot of filler being used along the way.

One of the worst things so far was the front suspension. The two halves, why it was moulded in two I have no idea looked terrible when joined with a huge gap all the away around plus soft detail. So only one thing for it make a replacement.

DSCF3881.JPG

DSCF3882.JPG

It is a strange design the leaves are not symmetrical as can be seen in the pictures. The hard thing was getting the curve in place

Next the gearbox and chassis. I replaced the gear levers with wire so they were a bit more robust. I added some filler plugs from punched sheet but didn't go over board as this will not be seen. I would like to try and find some pictures or the air line system but again it's not important as any additions won't be seen.

DSCF3878.JPG

Some other parts awaiting assembly showing the amount of filler required on the ejector marks.

DSCF3879.JPG

DSCF3880.JPG

cheers
Scottie

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
I'm in if only to watch you negotiate all that PE!!

Mind you!! It is a 'Scottie' build so he'll probable improve on it anyway!!

Either way - I'll be watching this un.

• Haha

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Replacing the front suspension was a good call. I spent ages cleaning up the kit part and it still looked crap!
Keep at it Sir :thumb2:

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I'm in if only to watch you negotiate all that PE!!

Mind you!! It is a 'Scottie' build so he'll probable improve on it anyway!!

Either way - I'll be watching this un.
Doug, got to love a bit of PE ;)
Replacing the front suspension was a good call. I spent ages cleaning up the kit part and it still looked crap!
Keep at it Sir :thumb2:
Jim, leaf springs are nearly always a pain in the a**e on most kits but these were completely useless.
Off with a bang. Lovely work on the spring!
Andy, cheers mate.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Can I have a "bicky" too?.......always interested in a good kraut halftrack build! I'll park in the back to keep from getting pelted with popcorn and other projectiles of choice. ;)

• Haha