Sectioned Tiger

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
From another thread:
Out of interest @Jakko , how would you have done this? Made the model (more or less), and cut through, or cut first and then make a left and a right side? I have a Takom Jagdpanther with interior, which is more or less complete, except the various subsections refuse to go together. I can't decide how to try and finish/display it.
In reply, I said I’d take some photos, so I now did :smiling3: I dug up the box and the diorama (these would be good to post in @rtfoe's thread about mothballed kits, by the way).

This is the main bit, the sectioned hull:

BA2A781A-41A3-4C9B-8FF0-246526C20E0B.jpeg7C18A313-0157-45FE-B449-6E8FB4E81A1A.jpeg

I cut the hull in two before assembling anything, and also removed the floor to replace it by plastic card because it was far too thick. Unfortunately the new floor appears to have developed a few bends due to spending almost twenty years in a packed box of sprues, half-built parts and accessories :sad:

The ammunition is Tamiya turned brass, as it’s much better than the Academy rounds. Here’s the hull floor bin I scratchbuilt, minus its side because I had planned the cut so that it just took the side off this bin and would show off what it’s for:

E31E9E77-2722-4706-88B7-AFC285478441.jpeg

Here’s what it looked like originally, after the cut and floor but virtually nothing else:

656A7EC7-47C0-4FBB-925E-870716087BC9.jpeg

And this is the diorama:

1062C8F8-D502-4124-B2AA-DD56A02ED31D.jpeg

I made the mistake here of building the sides from plastic card first and then using polyurethane foam from a can to fill in the groundwork, which bulged the card along the sides :sad: The wooden blocks in the corners are for strength and because I intended to have some stuff there, the wood in the middle is to secure the tank halves to, like so:

F70F1803-4933-4D99-BF1E-C73C013D5145.jpegF86ED8BB-AA5B-43B2-A9B5-B0321909AA13.jpeg

It may look uneven here but that’s because it’s not pulled tight yet as it would be on the finished diorama.

Other details are that I added the longitudinal stiffeners that Academy forgot. I made them by printing out part of a drawing out at the right size, pasting it to a sheet of plastic card and then drilling through the holes with a table drill:

5FE32D27-B4D9-4E0C-A134-04F8ADF4A207.jpeg

More detail bits for inside and outside the tank:

0BD0F5FB-7855-4F67-BCB8-7D94BF105C35.jpeg

The machine gun ammo bags and ball mount are Jaguar, I think, and the engine is from some brand I don’t recall, but I bought it at Euro Militaire 2002, I do remember that :smiling3: It’s needed because the Academy engine is wrong in its proportions.

These figures would have been converted into the tank crew, all in action poses:

DB937008-AB62-4A78-8F53-51B8B4665539.jpeg

Not sure what the tank commander on the left is, but those on the right are Scale Line Marder crew in winter uniform, one of which would have become the loader, and the other two bags are from Royal Model.

Outside the tank there would be at least these three German soldiers:

AAA07096-BAE1-45C5-844D-A664D4A71716.jpeg

As you can see, they’re only half-finished. A number of Russians would also have been there, but I’m not sure how many I wanted to do; possibly also a turret from a T-34, intended as looking like it had been blown off a tank that blew up.

I also built the wheels, obviously, plus some more internal bits like the transmission, but didn’t really start on the turret yet, let alone the outside.

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
Thanks for this Jakko. Very interesting. It's unlikely that I will go in this direction with the Jagdpanther, as it's more or less assembled, but certainly food for thought. If I had known it wouldn't fit before I started, it would have been a good option!

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I got the idea to do it this way because I wanted to actually show the inside, which would be pretty much impossible through just the hatches. I agree, though, that it would be very difficult with a model that’s already built — you could try sawing it in half, but you’d probably cut up so much detail that it would just ruin the model, I suspect.

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
I got the idea to do it this way because I wanted to actually show the inside, which would be pretty much impossible through just the hatches. I agree, though, that it would be very difficult with a model that’s already built — you could try sawing it in half, but you’d probably cut up so much detail that it would just ruin the model, I suspect.
It would be a hell of a surgical operation, but perfect for this type of vehicle:
IMG_1053.JPG
You would have to offset the cut, left or right of the transmission and then engine. But so many layers of flooring plates, and then suspension torsion bars under that. I feel I would just wreck the model.

My initial plan was a small LED, and leaving the top section of the fighting compartment removable.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Agreed, I wouldn’t consider it feasible with what you’ve got there. Having to avoid the engine, transmission, gun, etc. like you mention is the reason mine is cut not exactly in half, but more to the right. Same with the rear plate, where I decided to go around the exhaust pipe, else I would have had to cut part of the engine off too.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Unless you're prepared to do the insides of the working components like the engine and transmission.:smiling2: It is doable with a hi-powered circular saw with one clean pass...just make sure everything is glued down properly and loose about 1mm of plastic.

Cheers,
Richard