Shagbat OK real name Walrus

L

Laurie

Any body built one ?

Youngest son and his fiancée bought me a limited addition decorative plate decorated with a Roy Huxley with a Supermarine Walrus. Now hanging in the model room.

Think he mistook it for the USA Catalina I have built. Some similarities.

Nice looking aircraft. So after looking at the Airfix and the Revell decided on the latter, the Revell 1/72.

A soon as I have finished my Merlin and completely out of the schedule planned, surprise surprise, this is the next joker !

Any info on building etc gratefully received.

Laurie

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Not built one Laurie, but I think you are the first person I've seen describe the Walrus as a "nice looking aircraft". :smiling3:

Steve

L

Laurie

Oh Steve she is a beautiful bird ! Almost on a par with a Zebra !

My love of the sea the boat look with the square cockpit windows and graceful tail piece. A tail piece reminiscent of some modern aircraft. Plus I like intricate models just hope the eyes are up to 1/72. Now I am on a mission to find which RN Ship that is. Would this be Scapa ? Or could it be Reykjavik where the RAF used Seaplanes. And so any body any idea which craft that is ?

And this is the plate my youngest son kindly bought for me.View attachment 82828

img375.jpg

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
That's a Town-Class Cruiser Laurie, by the rear funnel I would have said Edinburgh-Class, Edinburgh (C16) or Belfast (C35).

Nice plate, lovely scene.

There you go Laurie, the very aircraft and HMS Belfast, in the same setting as your plate. It is the Kola inlet-Murmansk.

Si:smiling3:

Last edited by a moderator:
L

Laurie

Thanks Si that is great. Have been looking. First Destroyers but then most are one funnel. But then started on the cruisers.

Coincidence went past the Belfast on the Thames a week ago. She still looks the part. Went on board a few years ago. Surprised to see all the hammocks they used. Could not get into the engine space. I suspect it was due to all the asbestos lagging every where. Must renew my acquaintance in July when we are in London. More coincidence my son bought the plate in Greenwich not a mile or so form the Belfast.

Great picture with the Belfast. Thanks Si problem solved. But I am not building the Belfast.

Laurie

C

Caledonia

View attachment 82835

Laurier,

The Walrus until I think 1941 were fitted to all 5 King George V Class Battleships. The photo viewed from the Hanger on HMS Prince of Wales. Cheers Derek

image.jpg

Last edited:
L

Laurie

Thanks Derek for that info.

This little aircraft gets more interesting by the hour.

Laurie

L

Laurie

Another interesting fact. The Walrus was designed by no other than R.J.Mitchell of Spitfire fame. It was also tested by Mutt Summers who also flew for Barnes Wallis when testing the bouncing bomb.

Laurie

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
There was a build thread on here, or at least someone after info regarding building this aircraft...sure of it...there again I could be just making this up.

B

Bunkerbarge

\ said:
Not built one Laurie, but I think you are the first person I've seen describe the Walrus as a "nice looking aircraft". :smiling3: Steve
Steve,

I suspect the Walrus was the most beautiful aircraft in the world to many a downed RAF pilot in the drink!!

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
\ said:
Another interesting fact. The Walrus was designed by no other than R.J.Mitchell of Spitfire fame. It was also tested by Mutt Summers who also flew for Barnes Wallis when testing the bouncing bomb.Laurie
Two more useless facts: The Walrus' engine was offset to port by 3 degrees to allow for yaw effect caused by the resultant airflow over the tail from the propeller. At Hendon in 1933 Mutt Summers also looped the Walrus (then known as the Seagull V).

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Ah so the truth is out Si. o_O
LOL, yeah Laurie, to be honest-I don't know what day it is half the time.

L

Laurie

\ said:
Not built one Laurie, but I think you are the first person I've seen describe the Walrus as a "nice looking aircraft". :smiling3: Steve
Just looking for info. on the Walrus and there I found this.

Completely exonerated Steve this picture shows as the pictures caption "The Ugly Duckling".

View attachment 82852

Cannot believe that this and the Spitfire came from the same fellow. BUT there is a charm about it a Churchillian determination.

Laurie

WALRUS.jpg

L

Laurie

Thanks for that Derek getting excited about this a really interesting model. Very nice depiction of the camouflage.

Laurie

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Been after one in 1/48 for ages. Maybe one day soon... So I will have to watch you build your one instead.

That 1/32 scale one that Derek posted the box art for is incredible. Alas, so is the price.

Ian M

L

Laurie

There are a couple of 1/48s about Ian.

Smer, never heard of them, Ebay 11.99

CLassic Air Frames about £40.

Near interested but takes a long time and as I have the Airfix Hennrick Group lined up I thought I would do a quick 1/72 as a change.

Lot of difference between the 2 above cannot imagine that the Smer is high quality. There is one which is resin but not sure if it is one of these.

Laurie

G

Graham D

The Queen Elizabeth class of battleships also carried a Walrus, as did the Hood until its1939 refit

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
LOL The Smer kit is a dog. I'm after a Classic Airframe one. No real rush, plenty of other kits in the stash.