shell casing colour ?

tanktrack

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
hi guy,s i was wondering what colour to paint 1/35 shells and spent casings as i have a number that are made of brass and a lot which are plastic and i need to paint them for a scene

A

andygh

There is a large variation, any more details of what you're after?

tanktrack

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I'm just wanting the plastic ones to look like the brass ones and weathered a little do Vallejo do a convincing shell/brass effect for example ? ita a scene with my crusader AA unit and i want to add a lot of shell casings , shells and ammo boxes, the italeri kit says to paint the ones on the crusader brass , and the brass turned ones i have a very nice and would not want to ruin them .

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Try the games workshop paints steve, they do quite a few gold/brass/bronze colours. I know vallejo do a brass but dont know what its like , whereas ive used the GW colours and they are very good (my son gave me a load when he stopped doing the warhammer figures!) cheers tony

C

CDW

Going on the same lines of Tony with the GW stuff, i use a Citadel brushed gold which gives a nice weathered brass effect.

Just paint it on a suitably prepared surface and then, when dry, roll the casing in your fingers and it'll dull down and "usually" looks the business.

tanktrack

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
i will give them a try thereis a gw shop in town thanks guys

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I would paint the plastic ones with Alclad II Brass and it the real brass ones looked off, paint them as well.

Or google for more brass shell cases.....

Ian M

A

andygh

GW metalics are very good for brushing but even better are Model Air metalics, just let them dry out a little on the palette