Sherman BARV in 1/35 - 3D printing process & blog

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Picked this up again. The parts need a good amount of clear up & a certain amount of fettling to get the best fit................
DSCF4579.JPG
The rotary tool cutters are a really useful accessory, making short work of reducing thicknesses, taking corners off. I did try using a sanding drum, but that heats the PLA up too quickly & melts the surfaces. Cutting tools are the rule, but you end up with a right mess.
DSCF4580.JPG
I'm using Loctite - minimal on the outside, liberally on the inside, and kicker to really speed up the setting. Still going to need filler, but nothing more than making a limited run kit! There has been a certain amount of warping on some parts, so clampng bits & applying CA is needed. the kicker really helps
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Further assembly - I'd assembled things in the wrong order, and I'm left with a large gap in the top decking.
DSCF4582.JPG
It's a uniform gap, so I can mostly pack it with plasic card, before finishing it with filler.
In retrospect, I would assemble the top deck first to minimise any gaps - one of the problems with no assembly sequence and using CA, which you can't undo! Reasonably flat surfaces, so I've the best chance to get a good finish
Dave