Sherman but, no farmer.

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
As the title says Sherman but, no farmer i'll explain. I told Ron (spanner570) that there was going to be a French farmer in this dio but, when i put him in he looked out of place.

The Sherman is 1/48 scale from Tamiya, so are the figures. These built up very nicely. My usual recycling for the base is, the picture frame and a block of polystyrene melted with a cigarette lighter. As for the field, believe it or not, it just cardboard but the corrugated type.

Have fun, John

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Well, well, well John, you've done it again!

A superb, class bit of work, well done. The ploughed field is superb,where did you get THAT idea from? It looks spot on and for nowt too. It just goes to show what can be done with everyday stuff that would normally be chucked.

I am very impressed with the Sherman, I am surprised by the amount of detail for a 1/48 and the accessory pack does it proud.

You are right about the ommision of the farmer, I think he would have only distracted from the general scene.

Go to the top of the class and give out the pencils!!!!

Ron

I had a liitle chuckle at the p***ed off bren gunner!!!!

A cracking diorama.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
fantastic diorama!well done john,brilliant work ,i just love seeing stuff like this that tells its own story, keep it up cheers tony

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Thanks lads, Ron, the idea of the field was for the farmer but, left him out and kept the field. There was going to be a hedge but again, out of place.

As for the Bren gunner, you can hear him, "have i GOT to carry this again" lol.

Have fun, John.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
John, would you mind telling us how you achieved the finish / texture on the ploughed field?

The boys!!

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Certainly Ron and the boys, strip the corrugated cardboard down to the size you need, then just take the top layer off so you have ruts. PVA in place or, as i did, paint on scatter grip and stick it down (it's quicker too).

Right, now you have the makings of a field but this is the 40's, so there's no John Deere 3350. Push down some of the ruts until your happy and it looks field like, paint it a muddy brown colour, while it's still wet sprinkle on some sand. Give it 10 to 15 minutes and paint over it again. Hey presto, one field.

Have fun, John.

B

Bluewavestudios

Hi John,

Excellent and very impressive work there, I love the initial outdoor pics too as the background scenery and natural light add a lot of extra dimension to this one.

Looking forwards to your next work of art !!

Regards.....Mark

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Thanks Mark, before i was on the forum and built models it was just the wife saying "thats nice" but you know shes thinking "what is it?". So it's good to have other people's comment on the work/hobby we do.

A big thanks again, John.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
That's great. You armour boys do some lovely dioramas, really inspirational.The more I see and learn the more I try to screw up the courage to have a go myself..... one day!

Steve

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
\ said:
That's great. You armour boys do some lovely dioramas, really inspirational.The more I see and learn the more I try to screw up the courage to have a go myself..... one day!Steve
Thanks Steve, i'll let you into a little secret with armour modelling. If you make a mistake (like i have many times), cover it up at the wethering stage. Too much glue, not a problem, paint it brown and say it's mud.

I've never seen a brand new tank in battle so, you can get away with a lot.

Have fun, John

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
Thanks Steve, i'll let you into a little secret with armour modelling. If you make a mistake (like i have many times), cover it up at the wethering stage. Too much glue, not a problem, paint it brown and say it's mud.I've never seen a brand new tank in battle so, you can get away with a lot.

Have fun, John
Amen to that, John. The same applies to figures. Make a mistake and it's on with the dust (dry polyfilla)

How you 'flyboys' can paint so precise especially around the cockpit frames is beyond me.

Perhaps John, as yakface is having a go at armour, we should try 1/72 aircraft? Now theres a topic!

Ron

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Now thats not a bad idea Ron, sounds like a plan.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Model madness

That's great...I thinking of making a diorama of this sort...is it okay I use some of your techniques...thought I'd ask As some modelers get really annoyed using their styles

Thanks and nice modeling :smiling3:

F

Fenlander

How come I have missed this??? Sorry John. Cannot add much more to what has been said, it is just superb.

One of the great things about posting these works of art on here is to show what can be done Model Madness (can I call you Model, or is it Madness?) Whatever, I am sure John will agree, passing on how we do these things and showing them is to give others the ideas and techniques that we use. If they were secret, we wouldn't post them at all. Part of being on a forum like this is the sharing of information, both in giving and taking.

It is also safe to say that if two people read instructions and were given the same materials to replicate this superb diorama, they would still come out different. Take what ideas you want from the forum MM, that is why we are here.

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Couldn't of said it any better Graham, Model if you want use these techniques you go for it matey. I look forward to your work.

Graham, i'm the same. There is a lot of stuff i've missed but i'll get to see it.

Have fun, John

B

Bunkerbarge

i think one of the greatest parts of the Scale Models forum is that we are able to share our ideas with each other and help each other to improve thier techniques. At the end of the day we all learn from each other even the most experienced of us and that is why we are all happy to share our builds on here in the knowledge that we can also learn something ourselves.

B

backonthecase

\ said:
Thanks lads, Ron, the idea of the field was for the farmer but, left him out and kept the field. There was going to be a hedge but again, out of place. As for the Bren gunner, you can hear him, "have i GOT to carry this again" lol.

Have fun, John.
John, it makes me think about Crapgame from Kelly's Heroes - "carryin this stinkin .30cal around... grumble grumble..."

Excellent work - really convincing and a great tip for the ploughed field!

Stuart

S

sprayman

A Beautiful dio there, very well done, it could have been worse, it could have been a Farmer but no Sherman...

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Only just seen this, my security pack often has a fit and removes all the new post markers! What ever.

A great little dio there, I found it hard to belive that its only in 1/48!!!

I too feel a little bit sorry for the guy with the Bren. He does look rather tired of lugging it around don't he!

Well done John.!

W

wanna_be_aviator

Truly, at a first glance I thought they were real pictures! It really got me, ha! Now that's a good job right there!