Shuttle

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
She looks well used does old Atlantis, awesome piccies Richard.

Si:smiling3:

C

cryton 5

hi richard ,like above awesome pic's shortly be attempting minicraft endeavour ,so pictur'es

handy for colour scheme etc would love too have seen shuttle more up front .cry!!

B

Bunkerbarge

Although she looks well used Si they reckon the shuttle fleet have only used up around a third of thier designed service life. it is only the insulation that makes her look a bit less than perfectly finished.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Well weathered is an understatement, all those re-entries must have taken their toll on the appearance of these Shuttles. The sheer size of these machines amazes me. I once read that lift off power from the main engines used the equivalent of an Olympic swimming pool per second in fuel. I remember getting woken up early as a kid to watch the first Columbia launch (must have been about 1981?). Still sits in my memory as one of the most amazing things I ever saw on TV.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
They are big but if you look at the crew compartment, although more roomier than the Apollo there isn't loads of room, all the rest is just payload and engines. Is that an ejector seat warning symbol by the top window or just an escape hatch symbol?

A

AJay

Nicely weathered exterior! :smiling3: I wouldn't want to go up in that thing - I'd go nuts being enclosed in there. Thanks for sharing the pics!

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
\ said:
Is that an ejector seat warning symbol by the top window or just an escape hatch symbol?
According to NASA (the US Government seems to have paid its internet bills this time), Shuttle missions STS-1 to STS-4 only had two-member crews and these flights were equipped with ejection seats. The ejection seats were removed for subsequent flights. The 'Ejection' symbol on Atlantis is probably a 'RESCUE' symbol as the escape panels are situated near that area. http://history.nasa.gov/SP-4225/diagrams/shuttle/shuttle-diagram-10.htm

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
According to NASA (the US Government seems to have paid its internet bills this time), Shuttle missions STS-1 to STS-4 only had two-member crews and these flights were equipped with ejection seats. The ejection seats were removed for subsequent flights. The 'Ejection' symbol on Atlantis is probably a 'RESCUE' symbol as the escape panels are situated near that area. http://history.nasa.gov/SP-4225/diagrams/shuttle/shuttle-diagram-10.htm
Nice one Joe, thanks for the info.