Smokewinder

T

Tailspin14

Just a brainstorm.. will continue to work on this more.. but if you look at towards the tip of a generic ball point pen, they tend to be hollow, slightly conical and a possiblity if you want to cut a section out. Only thing that I can't think of is how well it would take to paint. The other idea would be to take small inside diameter fiber washers and build something up that you can shape. Just a couple of quick thoughts.. I am sure the more experience people in the group will have some better ones.

Bob

R

rjwood_uk

hmmm

the ball point pen could work tailspin!!! i will give it a go and see what they look like.

they will take paint fine...i have laquers!!! lol

T

Tailspin14

hmmmthe ball point pen could work tailspin!!! i will give it a go and see what they look like.

they will take paint fine...i have laquers!!! lol
Hehe.. good luck!!!

R

rjwood_uk

well tried Bob, it would be a good idea if they where bigger but the sidewinders are too small. so i have done something i didnt even think of. get the sidewinders out of another kit i wont me using them on and us the end!!!! il show you how it turns out!

T

Tailspin14

Cool!!! Well, Sorry that it didn't work for you. I am sitting in work and scale is something hard to figure out off the cuff...hehe..

Bob

R

rjwood_uk

this just aint bloody working!!! argh

im either gunna have to buy some resin and make one myself, or make one out of gregs favourite modeling material!

R

rjwood_uk

well i think i have found a resin part for the smokewinder.....the last couple left in the world lol. made by a company called P.P. Aeroparts that went out of business about 10 years ago (according to a friendly american i just rang) but he is not sure if he has any left or where they might be for that matter)lol so i am ringing back tomorrow and hopefully they have 2 or 3 sets (of 2) fingers crossed.....

T

Tailspin14

Ok.. leave part of this up to you. What you need is something that is hollow and tapered. I was putting a couple of pieces onto one of my models and had some dried glue stuck in the long tapered tip of my container of glue. How about the plastic tips that you put on the tip of the cement tubes that restrict the flow of glue? At some point along that taper, it should give you the exact size you need. Just a thought in case you don't want to wait or don't have any luck. I just wish I could remember the name of those tips.

Bob

R

rjwood_uk

bob, thanks for the advice but you dont realise how small this is. the diameter of the missile is 2mm, so i would need something that goes from 2mm to about 1mm. the things your talking about, the end hole is about 2mm so that wouldnt work.

well the resin set i had found...they had 1 left in stock....but it was for 1/72 :sad:

but no fear. some guys on the ARC found me some!!!!

http://spruebrothers.zoovy.com/product/FLP48108

will get some propper photos up when they arrive!

thank god for that i hate searching the internet for one single, not very know product it can be very teadious!

T

Tailspin14

You're right. I didn't quite realize that it was that small. Glad you found something. But I will come up with something to use. Hehe...

N

Nigel.D

RJ sorry mate you will find that a perfect example can be made from a knitting needle !!!!!

R

rjwood_uk

now i didnt think of that!!!

the problem with smokewinders is the exhaust is pretty hard to re-create acuratly, and it is actually a bit thicker than a sidewinder so my original plan to just adapt the sidewinder would have looked a bit wrong.

this kit also comes with enough "remove before flight" tags to do a whole plane so i can use them on another kit and also some crowd barriers so i can put my tiger meet f-16 into a nice airshow scene.

N

Nigel.D

have a look at knitting needles you need to cut them in two then rejoin that way you will get the nose and the tapered back end

T

Tailspin14

have a look at knitting needles you need to cut them in two then rejoin that way you will get the nose and the tapered back end
:respect1:

Good idea, Nigel!!!!!

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
When going around car boot sales always keep an eye open for these smaller knitting needles,snap them up as they only cost a few pence,and as Nigel says they really have some uses in modelling.

The older soft alloy ones can be filed and fashioned into useful model parts,dont forget as a modeller you should be akin to a magpie,stash away anything that has a useful shape to it,one day you will use it.

R

rjwood_uk

have edited my previous post as i have fineshed one of the smokewinders