Soldering Photo Etch with blow torch (Video)

F

Fenlander

Ok, I promised a little demo on using the gas torch/burner for soldering. Sorry for the quality of this and the abrupt ending, my phone ran out of memory..... This isn't an in depth how to, it just shows how the system I use works.

Again, apologies about the quality. I didn't really have anything to demonstrate clearly on and I just had to wing it, very unprofessional I know. Spielberg has nothing to worry about :sad: Although I do intend to develop video skills to do proper things like this. Oh, and yes I really am as boring as I sound, I can talk myself to sleep.......

First Name
Robert
Just watched this Graham and although I'm still a newbie when it comes to PE and soldering of any description this I found to be very interesting ( al the tools you need are in the video and the how to's even better.

I'll have to look for one of those burners next time I'm in home base and that paste looks the job for what little you need over the solder stick and heating up etc

Well done and yes very informative

Kind regards

Robert

D

Deleted member 4539

What an excellent demo Graham

This was an extremely informative Video.

Where do you get that solder/flux mix from?.

F

Fenlander

\ said:
What an excellent demo Graham
This was an extremely informative Video.

Where do you get that solder/flux mix from?.
Thanks Ralph. I get mine from eBay http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/MECHANIC-MCN-300-Liquid-Solder-Paste-BGA-SMD-SMT-Sn63-Pb37-leaded-/261967617697?nav=SEARCH

But I am sure a Google search will bring up more. Easier to get hold of now than it was a few years ago. It does go off though. I think they recommend storing it in a fridge once opened. I have a half pot that has dried out but I never really looked after it. This new pot I may try removing the foil seal altogether and putting cling film or something on the surface to try to slow down any evaporation.

J

John Rixon

Excellent! I always thought solder would be better, but avoided it, having done a bit of PE, due to it all being a bit delicate.. Had no idea that you could get paste like that! Brilliant!

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
thank you very very much never new about solder past tryed useing the flux and solder and never had much luck like you said not enough hands and burt many a plastic mat of fingers trying to do it nightmare..

but just ordered some on the back of your very helpful little vid got some pe aftermarket on my next build so will get some pics up of me using the paste

many many thanks again top bloke