Some very basic tips for a better product shoot.

D

Danny

I thought it only fare to offer some advice from my own field (Photographer and tutor for 20 years), that may help members capture

better photographs of their builds, especially as Im going to be getting your advice on the actual building :smiling3:

So, after many hours of work completing that bf 109 you want to show the world the fruits of your labour. You grab your camera, wipe down the living room table

and start clicking away. On inspection of the pics you see : Colour is wrong, its blurry and looks nothing like your pride and joy !, Oh but the ashtray sitting on the

unit on the other side of the living room looks perfect !

Here are a few tips that will improve your skills with your camera.

1. Know your cameras limitations..

If you want magazine quality pics of your aircraft you need a camera that offers the control you need to get them. The major control needed is the ability to set a custom white balance.

This stops your olive drab looking like a dark mustard or a navy blue. If your camera offers this control, read your manual and learn how to set it (Manual, small book that came in the box with the camera).

2. Use a tripod, bean-bag or just have your camera resting on a few books when you take the photograph. Its also helpful to use a remote switch or the timer if your camera has one.

3. Without light you have no photograph.

Natural window light, if available will offer correct colours but choosing the right time of day to get it will limit when you can capture images. Flash is harsh but can be improved by taping a small piece of tissue over the flash

to act as a diffuser.

4. When you get it right its always handy to know how you managed it, so take notes of what works and what dosnt.

If anyone has any specific questions I am happy to offer advice and hope to create some threads in the future based on building your own light-box and how to light backgrounds to show your models to the best of their ability.

Danny

T

tecdes

Nice of you to take the time to write that Danny.

Question. Always have to lighten my pictures in post. Used auto & also manual aperture. Not tried manual white light just leave this to the camera's auto system. In the view finder & also if I use the screen it all looks ok.

Any help appreciated.

Camera is an Olympus E 410 with a Zuiko17.5-45mm lense. Recently also got a macro Zuiko 35mm 1.3.5. which I use most for taking model pictures. No zoom I have to adjust distance camera to object manually but this kept the cost down. I use two tungsten 75 watt lamps to enhance (or try to perhaps would be more accurate statement).

Laurie

D

Danny

Hi Laurie..

Having had the opportunity to use the E410 while teaching I remember having to increase exposure compensation by a stop to recreate correct light levels. I would also suggest your dark pics could be due to the viewing screen brightness being set to light, hense your not seeing the underexposure when you first see the shot. Also, keep in mind monitor calibration could be an issue... First port of call would be to increase the exposure compensation and see if that removes the problem. Next, try a camera reset as that sometimes stops these kind of issues usually caused by user settings change, but forgetting to turn the setting back to normal.

I hope this is helpful, let me know how it goes ..

Danny

C

chingerspy

Thanks for the advice. One thing on my shopping list is a decent DSLR so I will revisit these tips then. I have a nice digital snapper but it offers barely any controls. I have an old SLR but digital is so much handier.

T

tecdes

Thanks Danny that is of great help.

Monitor is OK I calibrate that at times as I produce Video Films for Weddings & Events etc.

Thanks again very kind Danny.

Laurie

G

Gomer Pyle

Hi Danny!

I have a more PP related question if that's OK? My Cam is an Oly compact XZ-1 so the dynamic rang is quite limited, but I heard/read somewhere that I should avoid clipping in the high lights as it is supposedly much easier to recover details from the shadow areas rather than those high lights. I have tried fiddling with contrast and brightness (even curves in GIMP) but though I do get more detail coming out of the shadow areas I also seem to get an either pale/dull or unrealistically over-saturated over-all picture. Do you have any cool tricks that I can use to get the details out from those shadows without the trade-offs in the rest of the picture?

Thanks in advance

Daniel

D

Danny

Hi Daniel

Firstly, the XZ1 has the ability to capture pics in RAW file format, if your using only jpeg and not Raw you wont be able to recover the same shadow detail without losing some highlight detail. I would suggest the following :

Use the 1 touch white balance control thats part of your camera and set the custom white balance. Shoot in Aperture Priority AE mode whilst supporting your camera (Tri/mono pod, bean bag etc), athough I would stay away from the wider F stops such as F1.8 that your camera can achieve. Have you tried increasing the lighting on your subject as it could be a lack of light thats causing the problem. Shoot in Raw if your only using jpeg.

The XZ1 is one of the better P&S cameras because of the control it offers, but with that comes the need to experiment with what it can and cant do without your help.

I hope this is helpful....Danny

Last edited: