Something quick and (hopefully) simple

F

Fenlander

OK, been a bit hassled with builds of late with nothing seeming to come together and more work in progress than progress. So I need a bit of a morale booster with a quick and hopefully simple build. So, an OOB build but of course with a twist. The model is the beautiful Tamiya 1:48 Tilly, one I have been eying up and wanting to get on with for a while (amongst dozens more!!!)

The twist is that I have seen in a magazine somewhere, more details if I can find it, of one of these built as a desert one, usually they are done as RAF or Europe camo. It looked really good in desert scheme so the build will be quick, the painting will be in preparation for when I do the LRDG/SAS diorama.

I feel that I have reached a level with my builds that is OK but does not appear to be getting better. I need to concentrate on improving my painting and weathering skills to get the best out of my models and move them on a step. I have invested in some superb weathering materials, time to learn how to use them.

I have a selection of really fine kits now, it is time to up my game and learn new techniques.

So here she is, a bit late tonight to start it but I expect the initial build will be just over an hour to have it ready for painting up. As you can see, not a lot to it, the task with this one is to get the best out of it and make a better job of the finish.

OK, set my stall out now and probably heading for a fall but I will give it a good try.

S

sprayman

A beautifull kit from Tamiya,as I dont build British, I will be watching this one with interest, more than happy to help if needed...I love weathering....

S

Sky Raider

Should look good Graham, not exactly a bomb proof vehicle id like to be driving round in in the middle of combat. Looks the sort of thing you would nip down the shop in to get some milk for the naffy lol. Cant wait to see your improved techniques, if you think that they need improving, ive always been very impressed with your work.

Good luck

Andy

F

Fenlander

more than happy to help if needed
I will be studying your Blitz build Ray for some tips, may be asking a few questions about specific techniques :smiling:

S

sprayman

More than happy to help in anyway I can, not that I think you need much help Graham......so get your pastels ready...or are you a cheat and buy your stuff ready mixed...lol

Last edited:
T

treyzx10r

looking forward to this sometimes less is more if you get me

Trey

B

Bunkerbarge

I think it will be very interesting to see a relatively simple model such as this go together with a very high percentage of the success being in the painting and weatghering. It's a great kit to practise techniques on.

F

Fenlander

Well, an hour into building, including ten minutes crawling about on hands and knees trying to find one of the tiny clear wing side lights..... Not added the driver as he is dressed far too warm for the desert and I have left of the spare wheel and the roof mounted spade to be painted separate. Body not glued to base yet neither is the canvas tilt glued on until I decide on how I am going about the painting.

I often hear the old cliche of how 'a kit goes together like a dream' but this does go together like a dream. Only thing I am not too happy about is the clear tilt. It is joined along its length on the top where a join line is inevitable. Not a problam normally but the clear plastic is moulded with such delicate texture, I am sure this is going to be problematic in sanding it out. I doubt the real thing would have a seam line there.

Anyway, let me introduce you to Tilly

An

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
:badcomputer1: Not fair you've got a "Tilly", nice looking kit though matey.

Have fun, John

S

sprayman

You dont mess about do you Graham, I would still be reading the instructions...lol.....looking spot on there.

F

Fenlander

Lol, there is nothing to it Ray, very simple build. All pulls apart for the painting however including the wheels. As far as I know, the inside is painted a similar colour to the outside so I will go with that. No point going mad on the inside as not a lot will be seen. Once the inside is sprayed up, I will put the glass in and mask it up then glue the body to the chassis. Not a separate chassis frame so not a lot going on underneath, it will be glued and pinned to a base anyway. The exhaust is not fitted at this stage as that will be painted separately.

next job then is the real tricky bit, trying to get a faded sand finish with some very small pin washing and filters to soften it all up. This is a tiny kit but the surface detail is superb. Fingers crossed that I can get the look I want.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Hi Graham,

I'm not surprised you got this far so quickly. From your sprue shots it looks like Tamiya have built half of it already! lol

Nice, clean build so far and I'm looking forward to your painting/weathering. I am surprised at the size and number of all those ejector pin marks though! You'd have thought Tamiya would have done better than that.

Gern

B

Bunkerbarge

Graham, I once had a play around with a technique which was also a join in a canvas cover with a seam and I made a circular disc from modelling clay, of the Das type variety, and rolled it across the textured canvas. When dry this gave me a pattern around the edge of the wheel. Then, after sanding down the join I painted the seam with a few coats of liquid poly to soften the surface without leaving it sticky, and that's the tricky bit!

When you are happy the surface is just right roll your wheel across the seam. It won't be perfect as the pattern will never actually align with the surrounding area but it does look a lot less obvious than a smooth patch.

I had varying degrees of success and it was somewhere in the region of thirty years ago but a bit of practise and experimentation and you might get an acceptable result.

Other options are of course covering the surface with another medium such as paper or foil but that may be a bit of a struggle at this scale. I have recently been having quite a bit of success with using foil to make canvas covers and realising that surface texture at such small scales may not even be visible. What you can achieve though is very effective creases and folds in the surface which look much more eye catching than the surface texture.

Here's a couple of not very clear shots, I made a couple of lifeboat covers, a set of sails for the lifeboat and a bunker cover.. Next is a canvas dodger for the bridge!!

View attachment 27251

View attachment 27252

View attachment 27253

View attachment 27254

0025.jpg

IMG_0018.jpg

0018.jpg

0023.jpg

F

Fenlander

You know, it never ceases to amaze me how a simple comment can bring forth such amazing ideas!!!! I would never of thought of making a re-texturing tool like that Richard. There are loads of possibilities for such a device, nice one.

F

Fenlander

Dave, if you mean the pin marks on the clear canvas tilt, they are all on the inside and will not show at all. I just think it would have been better if they had done the top in one piece to join to the sides rather than join along the middle. Wonder if the 1:35 version is the same? Anyone built it??? Also believe that the 1:35 version has an engine so great possibility for a workshop dio, even a post war version that someone has 'acquired' for their own business from the old War stock. Can anyone confirm the 1:35 does have engine parts to allow an open bonnet?

S

sprayman

Full review of the Tamiya 1/35 here Graham,may help you.

Armorama :: In-Box Review: Tamiya Austin Tilly by Alan McNeilly

F

Fenlander

Cheers Ray. Looking at the sprue shots there does appear to be an engine block included. Also the problem with the canvas tilt is eliminated by a one piece moulding. Oh damn, I may have to get one of those, I have some bits that would go so nicely with it.......

S

sprayman

Now watch for the split eye syndrome Graham, you know where one eye on the job in hand and another on your next build.......can cause the modeller to overlook his skills as he looses interest in his current build..and theres nothing worse than a great modeller selling himself short and doubting his skills , especially when there is nothing to doubt about his excellent work. :wink:

Lol...Dr Ray is available for appointments most days.....lol

Last edited: