Spraying, ambient temperatures.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
OK guys, what I'm after is advice on what temperatures 'you' consider to be the temperature range to airbrush in. (NOT what the manufactures recommend but more what temperatures actual users spray in).

With temperature ranges bouncing all over the place in the UK at the moment I don't want to restart painting, (now I'm in a position to restart), if the temps are way too low.

Thank you all in advance.
Doug

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Hi Doug

I spray ( not me honest) in a room I had built in my garage. Despite insulation not the warmest. I have no problem spraying in the cold, apart from my feet. Just stir the paint more, I do keep the paint in the house. Warm or hot weather can cause problems with tip drying of course.

Reactions: JR

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Like Bob I spray in all kinds of temperatures in the shed, from thick socks & wooly jumper up to shorts & t-shirt.

It's easier when temps are somewhere near normal for sure, but I still find it possible.

Warming the paint a bit in this weather should help as it reduces the viscosity without having to over thin. Stick it in your pocket for a while, or maybe thin with slightly warm water (if you're using water based acrylics)

Having a hairdryer handy helps too.

At work I nuke paint in the microwave for a few seconds (about 10s per 100ml) to help it flow nicely when it's cold, but that's a bit harder to do with airbrush quantities :tears-of-joy:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
10 seconds for 100 ml … so that’s one second for a 10 ml Tamiya bottle ;)

Or, of course, dial the microwave’s power back: if you do it at 100 W instead of 900 W, it would be nine seconds for that 10 ml bottle.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Luckily I heat my cave to frost free. If going in to work I turn the heat up, would agree with Andy about warming the paint up .

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Hi Doug

I spray ( not me honest) in a room I had built in my garage. Despite insulation not the warmest. I have no problem spraying in the cold, apart from my feet. Just stir the paint more, I do keep the paint in the house. Warm or hot weather can cause problems with tip drying of course.
Bob, they have now invented some things called socks...
I bought myself a small greenhouse heater from Homebase, it keeps the temperature comfortable and if you do not go too daft then the parafin smell is not so bad. But remember to turn it off before spraying lacquers/enamels and light it again about an hour after spraying.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Now I have done research on sock devices and to my surprise I have loads already. Some my big toe has tried to escape from? Might cut it off to save on socks!! Sound money saving plan me thinks!!

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
It's not only the temperature - it's the humidity - anything from 30-50%, and temperatures between 15-24C should be good for any sort of spraying - of course you should have adequate ventilation, so that may be a factor. As a general rule - If you feel comfortable, then it should be fine to spray paint!
Dave

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Bob, they have now invented some things called socks...
I bought myself a small greenhouse heater from Homebase, it keeps the temperature comfortable and if you do not go too daft then the parafin smell is not so bad. But remember to turn it off before spraying lacquers/enamels and light it again about an hour after spraying.
Now that's an idea, perfect for a grand fire ;)

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Now I have done research on sock devices and to my surprise I have loads already. Some my big toe has tried to escape from? Might cut it off to save on socks!! Sound money saving plan me thinks!!
Could cause a problem Bob, with out a big toe you will loose all vertical control , and end up in the carpet monster search position .;)

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Now that's an idea, perfect for a grand fire ;)
BACK OFF!!!! The parafin is kept well away from the heater, and is in the back garden under a lid in the tool box with a half slab of paving stone on it to hold it down so you will never find it..... Awwwwwwww!!!!

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
BACK OFF!!!! The parafin is kept well away from the heater, and is in the back garden under a lid in the tool box with a half slab of paving stone on it to hold it down so you will never find it..... Awwwwwwww!!!!
Thank you for the location Wibble ,:smiling2: