Spraying Vallejo Matt/Gloss Varnish?

First Name
Adrian
I've got a couple of the little 17ml bottles to try out but when I spray them they don't come out evenly, my thoughts are that they are a little thick for my A/B so I turned up the pressure but still not getting a good feed.

Could I add some of the Vallejo Airbrush Thinner to it and thin it out?

I appreciate any help :smiling3:

Adrian

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
\ said:
I've got a couple of the little 17ml bottles to try out but when I spray them they don't come out evenly, my thoughts are that they are a little thick for my A/B so I turned up the pressure but still not getting a good feed.

I appreciate any help :smiling3:

Adrian
I used my trusty daler Rowney flow enhancer (a few drops) when I sealed my spitfire cockpit at around 18psi seemed fine, I have heard you can use distilled water also to thin.

L

Laurie

As long Adrian as the paint is water based I would think that is OK. But do not know what the paint is to be cetain.

i would think try them out.

Laurie

L

Laurie

The answer is no then Adrian. Tamiya is not water based cannot remember its thinners.

Laurie

D

dubster72

It wouldn't matter what the paint is, providing it's fully cured. I've Humbrol Clear ( water based ) over enamels & Tamiya paints without a problem and used oil washes over that.

L

Laurie

\ said:
So to be clear, I can't thin Vallejo varnishes with the Vallejo airbrush thinners and then spray them onto Tamiya colours?
Adrian
Yes as Patrick has said Adrian that is OK provided that the paint surface is cured. But that is a different question still do not use water based thinners with Tamiya Paint. Tamiya X-20A thinner should be used.

Just a thought Adrian. As you do not like the smell of Enamels Tamiya X-20A does have a smell . Also only to be used by adults :rolleyes: Says the vapours may cause drowsiness and dizzyness so that is useful o_O

Laurie

D

dubster72

\ said:
Yes as Patrick has said Adrian that is OK provided that the paint surface is cured. But that is a different question still do not use water based thinners with Tamiya Paint. Tamiya X-20A thinner should be used.
Just a thought Adrian. As you do not like the smell of Enamels Tamiya X-20A does have a smell . Also only to be used by adults :rolleyes: Says the vapours may cause drowsiness and dizzyness so that is useful o_O

Laurie
The question regarding using water based thinners with Tamiya paints wasn't posed Laurie, if you read Adrians posts.

Whilst I'd never advise using Vallejo thinners with Tamiya paints, many people have thinned Tamiya with water & say it works ok( not something I'd do!)

L

Laurie

\ said:
The question regarding using water based thinners with Tamiya paints wasn't posed Laurie, if you read Adrians posts.
)
Regret it was Patrick. Vallejo Airbrush thinners, just as their paints, is water based.

Also quote from Vallejo Paints.

• 1.7. Are there acrylic model paints in the market which are not waterbased?
    Yes, and these acrylics, solvent based, should not be mixed with waterbased products.

Laurie

D

dubster72

\ said:
Regret it was Patrick. Vallejo Airbrush thinners, just as their paints, is water based.
Also quote from Vallejo Paints.

• 1.7. Are there acrylic model paints in the market which are not waterbased?
    Yes, and these acrylics, solvent based, should not be mixed with waterbased products.

Laurie
Regret to inform you that it wasn't!

Adrian asked if he could use Vallejo varnish over Tamiya paints,not mix the two together.

As I said, once ANY paint has cured, you can then apply any other type of paint or varnish etc over that - Humbrol Clear which is water based doesn't react even with oil paints & they are chemically" hotter" than anything acrylic.

L

Laurie

\ said:
Dear me Patrick what was this then.

From Adrian

1.I've got a couple of the little 17ml bottles to try out but when I spray them they don't come out evenly, my thoughts are that they are a little thick for my A/B so I turned up the pressure but still not getting a good feed.

From Adrian

2. Ah sorry Laurie, it's all Tamiya paint.

QED

D

dubster72

\ said:
Dear me Patrick what was this then.
From Adrian

1.I've got a couple of the little 17ml bottles to try out but when I spray them they don't come out evenly, my thoughts are that they are a little thick for my A/B so I turned up the pressure but still not getting a good feed.

From Adrian

2. Ah sorry Laurie, it's all Tamiya paint.

QED
Unfortunately I must correct you again!

As Adrian asked

So to be clear, I can't thin Vallejo varnishes with the Vallejo airbrush thinners and then spray them onto Tamiya colours?

Adrian

The question is one of applying the Vallejo over the Tamiya, NOT mixing them...

I believe Adrian was concerned about a reaction between the Vallejo thinners and the Tamiya paints.

I'm getting deja vu here!

First Name
Adrian
Gentlemen,

My question wasn't very clear, let me try and explain.

I was trying to spray the Vallejo varnishes but didn't get consistent results, so yes I was asking if I could add the same brand thinners to the varnish with no damning effect to the varnish.

I answered Lauries questions about paints as I thought he was asking what paint I had used to paint the model, I wasn't asking about mixing paint and thinners.

For the record I used to use X-20A to thin my Tamiya range but for the past 3 years have solely used IPA.

To sum up as I understand it,,,,,,the air brush thinner can be used to thin the Vallejo varnishes to make them easier to spray.

I have to admit I love the in depth detail and responses though :smiling3:

Adrian

D

Doug Hughes

\ said:
To sum up as I understand it,,,,,,the air brush thinner can be used to thin the Vallejo varnishes to make them easier to spray.

Adrian
Yes Ade, that's right. I use the Vallejo thinners in the matt varnish at about 50:50. It's so matt that one very thin coat usually does me fine. I don't use the gloss (discovered Humbrol Clear instead).

First Name
Adrian
Have a question regarding my use of Vallejo Gloss again,,,,,

I sprayed the fuel pods on my F-4C and left the paint 2 days, then varnished them with Vallejo Gloss. Left that a day then masked it up to lay down the green camo on the tops of the pods.

Once this was dry about 20 mins I started to remove the tape, to find it also peeled off the gloss varnish in areas along the fuel pods.

Can anyone suggest what I may be doing wrong?

Adrian

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Just to add to the confusion. It says on my bottle of Vallejo Matt varnish that I can thin it with water.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Adrian

Yes you can thin vallejo varnish with their thinners. I do it all the time. Another tip is to put a ball bearing in the bottle to aid mixing.

Hope this helps you get the results you're after.

Cheers

P

D

dougie

\ said:
The answer is no then Adrian. Tamiya is not water based cannot remember its thinners.
Laurie
Yeah it's isopropanol you need for Tamiya but really Tamiya thinners may be the best thing. It's water based as in not oil based but don't thin with water

D

dougie

\ said:
Hi Adrian
Yes you can thin vallejo varnish with their thinners. I do it all the time. Another tip is to put a ball bearing in the bottle to aid mixing.

Hope this helps you get the results you're after.

Cheers

P
I've seen how long it takes to fully mix Vallejo... You think it's done, but it's not haha it really takes forever