Spraying Vallejo Matt/Gloss Varnish?

First Name
Adrian
I sorted the spraying part out by thinning it with Vallejo Airbrush thinner,,, but its the issue of it coming away with the Tamiya masking tape I could use some advice on .

Adrian

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Oh, sorry Adrian. I've never experienced that problem.

Are you giving the varnish enough time to cure properly - 24hrs?

To be honest by the time I'm applying the varnish the masking part is pretty much done.

The vallejo varnishes seem pretty resilient to me so i can only guess at the drying times, or perhaps that is what thinned too much?

I hope you resolve the issue though.

Cheers

P

L

Laurie

Which Vallejo Gloss are you using Adrian.

Is it Acrylic 26.157 or Acrylic Polyurethene 62.064. You are better off with the Poly. It doe not need any mixing shaking although it says shake it. It is the virtually consistency of water. It provides, I have found, a better finish. But it does take a little longer to cure but cured it is much tougher than the the acrylic and gives a higher gloss.

Not had to thin the Poly at all. Just wonder Adrian if the Vallejo does not like Tamiya to stick to. Do Tamiya do a gloss ?

Laurie

First Name
Adrian
It's the Poly 26.650, its most certainly not as thin as water though it does say it can be sprayed straight from the bottle. I tried that and just got a blocked needle everytime ( .35 size )

If I mix it with Vallejo Airbrush thinners it sprays perfectly and the shine is great.

Like you say I should try to find a low tack tape

Adrian

L

Laurie

Adrian try these. I rarely use Tamiya tape after finding these.

3M Fine Lining Tape Blue. Bit tougher and slightly better seal

Fine Spray Lining Tape. Very easy release and going around corners.

Both are available in a number widths. Also easy to slice a thin piece.

This first picture gives an idea of the crisp clean lines and also the versatility of these tapes.

Also use the green as it more flexible for canopies.

Laurie

View attachment 116654

Both seal better than Tamiya. Both stretch View attachment 116651

View attachment 116652

View attachment 116653

View attachment 116650

PB062857.JPG

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

5.jpg

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
\ said:
Adrian try these. I rarely use Tamiya tape after finding these.
3M Fine Lining Tape Blue. Bit tougher and slightly better seal

Fine Spray Lining Tape. Very easy release and going around corners.

Both are available in a number widths. Also easy to slice a thin piece.

This first picture gives an idea of the crisp clean lines and also the versatility of these tapes.

Also use the green as it more flexible for canopies.

Laurie

View attachment 128004

Both seal better than Tamiya. Both stretch View attachment 128001 View attachment 128002 View attachment 128003
Where do you get that stuff from Laurie?

D

demon

\ said:
The question regarding using water based thinners with Tamiya paints wasn't posed Laurie, if you read Adrians posts.
Whilst I'd never advise using Vallejo thinners with Tamiya paints, many people have thinned Tamiya with water & say it works ok( not something I'd do!)
Hi guys I thin all my tamiya paints with ipa it's cheaper than x20a and I can't tell the difference maybe it cures a but quicker all I would say is experiment on a scrap model just my thoughts

L

Laurie

\ said:
Where do you get that stuff from Laurie?
If you have a local body shop supplier Rick they should have it. These are on Ebay. Tried Amazon but they have few contacts.

Funny one on the first one below in Ebay. One tape £1113:95. Even funnier that there are two watching.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=3m+fine+lining+tape&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR1.TRC0.A0.H0.Xfine+spray+lining+tape.TRS0&_nkw=fine+spray+lining+tape&_sacat=0

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.X3m+fine+lining+tape.TRS0&_nkw=3m+fine+lining+tape&_sacat=0

One thing I forgot. Keep in a plastic bag or the edges will pick up dirt and bits. Nuisance but then the advantage is that the edges are sticky and give a good seal.

Laurie

First Name
Adrian
Thanks Laurie,

I was actually looking at getting some of this tape, thanks for the link to them :smiling3:

Adrian

C

Cooperman69

What's the smallest width that the 3M tape comes in?

3mm is the smallest I can find, I guess your cutting it down by hand Laurie?

Is there any difference between the green and blue types?

L

Laurie

\ said:
What's the smallest width that the 3M tape comes in?
3mm is the smallest I can find, I guess your cutting it down by hand Laurie?

Is there any difference between the green and blue types?
Hi Colin

Yes 3mm is the smallest in both.

Blue 3,6 and 12mm

Green 3,6,9mm

Smaller just lie on a gloss surface glass or CD face. Cut to thickness required. I like to cut as it gives a sharp perfect edge.

If you are cutting to a thin strip especially for going around a corner I would recommend the Green tape. It is more flexible.

Laurie