Stang

First Name
Mike
I took some photos of the real 'Stang' in a museum in Arizona last year and have wanted to build of a model of it since. It's a restored warbird which has been converted to a two-seater and finished in a totally spurious camo scheme. This is the new tool Airfix 1/72 kit, which was great fun to build. Apart from the extra seat I didn't do much to the kit, except replace the gun barrels with hypodermic tubing and make the decals. Finished with Alclad and Tamiya lacquers.

And here's a pic of the real thing:-

http://air-and-space.com/20110312%20IWA/DSC_2234%20P-51D%20NL151RJ%2044-74404%20Stang%20left%20side%20taxiing%20l.jpg

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Beautifully done Mike. Nailed your reference picture that's for sure. Great result for the home made decals too.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
great build Mike, so clean , you would think its a real one,

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Immaculate as always Mike. How long does it take you to do these builds?

Gern

D

dubster72

Wow! That is a brilliant build Mike! No way would I have guessed it was 1/72 (except maybe for Airfix's slightly deep panel lines!)

This is the standard to aspire to ;) maybe a WIP thread next time for us who want to build aircraft?

Cheers

Patrick

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thats rather nice.:cool:

Great Job Mike.

Ian M

L

Laurie

Wow Mike no difference between the real and the model. That is stunning.

Has to be one for the photography competition.

Which paint did you use ? Just a remarkable effect.

Laurie

Lee W

Rum before 10 makes you a pirate not an alcoholic
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Stunning totally stunning, love the 'Stang!' :D

Lee:smiling3:

First Name
Mike
Thanks for the nice comments!

\ said:
Immaculate as always Mike. How long does it take you to do these builds?
Cheers Gern. It all depends on the kit and how much extra work it needs, but this was pretty straightforward. I don't actually record the time – I generally build an hour or so at a time over several weeks – but I'd estimate this one took about 25 hours, a lot of that in masking.

\ said:
This is the standard to aspire to ;) maybe a WIP thread next time for us who want to build aircraft?
Cheers Patrick. There's actually a full-build article in the current (April 2014) issue of Model Aircraft magazine.

\ said:
Which paint did you use ? Just a remarkable effect.
Thanks Laurie. The wings are Alclad polished aluminum, the rest is painted using Tamiya lacquers, decanted from rattle-cans.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Beautiful Mike , a superb build. Its got very good reviews the new Airfix Mustang , It might have to go on the 'one to get' list!! cheers Tony

S

spongtastic

Amazing as always. Dual control P51s are actually relatively common, if not that cheap. If you google platinum fighters they've got one POA :smiling3:

A lottery win for me would fund a warbird stable rather than super cars!