STAR TREK TYPE B MK II TRICORDER. SCRATCH BUILD.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
To go with my Kirk Movie era away-team outfit I needed a suitable tricorder, you cannot get the Wrath of Khan, or The Search For Spock tricorders, a few have made some but they are a pain and very difficult to source items etc. So I came up with a compromise of a different mark of the Type B used in the film The Search For Spock.

Here is the movie version, a bit clunky so I wanted to streamline it and makes something with characteristics of this version.

Here is mine:

With added decals on buttons.

This is made from a old 80's hand held game, stripped out, the red buttons kept and hidden beneath some mesh, the front screen is the original smoked plastic protector on top of plastic from a sim card cut down, this has had various decals added. The buttons are rubber feet with decals underneath, the lights are stick on crystals, the rear screen is just printed on photography paper and the strap parts are guitar buttons. All primed and sprayed black, didn't like the grey of the movie one. Best part of this is that no glue was used at all, all self adhesive or gaffa taped inside. Once dry it has had a matt varnish to help protect it. Just waiting for the strap to come and then it 100% finished.

Si:smiling3:

Last edited by a moderator:

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
very nice invention ,and so well made,thats great make you look even more the part, ;)

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
very nice invention ,and so well made,thats great make you look even more the part, ;)
It was easy to make, started out as this:

Build time, 5 hours. It is light and looks the part so I'm happy. Glad you like it Moni.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
not too shabby! Does the top pop up? The 'actual' one is supposed to...
No, the top doesn't pop up, would have needed some serious surgery as it is tapered, I need it to be ready for this coming Sunday so hence a simple build. I think I need some colours on the buttons so may tinker a bit. Glad you like it Steve that means a lot mate.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
I've got some pics that may help you...
Yes please Steve, was going to get an original and faff with that but not paying £20+ to maybe make a mess of and then have to start again. This build has cost me a total for £15 ish, and that includes the buttons, strap etc, so happy with that.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Very good si I think that really looks the part mate well done :smiling3:

W

Willi262

I'm not sure how well they turned out, but I can post them again in a different section, and you should be able to enlarge them for better viewing/reference. I've got books and books on this kind of stuff...

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
I'm not sure how well they turned out, but I can post them again in a different section, and you should be able to enlarge them for better viewing/reference. I've got books and books on this kind of stuff...
They are okay Steve, will save them and use for reference, top stuff and many thanks again.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Thanks guys, glad you like it, was really easy and fun to make.