Stuka ??

L

lynz

Hi all, im wondering if anyone could help me

The thing is my dad is really wanting the Stuka - scale 1:72, but I have no idea what the number/letter is after Stuka I was sure it was E70 but it seems not to be, anyway I would ask my dad, but im hoping to get it for his birthday so dont really want to ask.

Thank you for any help

A

alan2525

Junkers Ju 87? As far as I know there where only a few variants of the Stuka, Ju 87 A, Ju 87 D etc.

I prefer the variant that had the two long barreled 37mm cannon under the wings that actually projected beyond the front of the aircraft - Ju 87 G

Just go for that one because even in diminutive 1/72nd it'd still look impressive!

View attachment 15928

Ju87g_37mm.jpg

A

AerynPk

The name is Junkers-JU87-B Stuka.

Hope this helps. If you want the Airfix site shows the information about the Stuka.

The link is for the 1:72 scale which is very small and you can barely get any detail on it.

http://www.airfix.com/airfix-product...-stuka-a03030/

You can purchase the model anywhere that does scale models shops i know are Hobbycraft and Laurence Matthews. They have an incredible range it is personally my favourite shop. Also the gadget shops and toy zone shops also sell them.

G

GEEDUBBYA

Howdy Lynz,

Firstly, welcome to the forum, we are glad to have you here. seemed to have missed your introduction.

I agree with Alan, the JU-87 G is the aircraft to get, set up as the original "Tank buster", this was not so much a dive bomber as a close in, ground attack support aircraft. It had the two below wing mounted anti tank cannons and if i am not mistaken, still carried a 250 pound (maybe 500 pound but not sure) bomb centerline of the fuselage. Between the Cannons, the bomb and the wailing sirens installed on all stukas that gave them that "scream" as they dove at their targets, i am sure the real aircraft was impressive, I know for a fact the model in 1:48th scale of the G version is equally impressive.

However, I am partial to 1:48th scale myself, although a tank busting stuka in anyscale always catches my eye.

stuka_g1rudel.jpg

ju87_profil_winter.JPG

However, this is your gift to your father, being a B-day present, its a personal thing so I am not going to tell you to get the "G" version.

So, lol you are on your own as to which you actually get. If you need help finding a model, just ask and i can point you in the direction of manufacturers and even some online distributors of this kit and other versions.

Have a good day and again, welcome to the forum,

Greg aka GEEDUBBYA (GW)

R

rjwood_uk

as far as i know in 1/72 Airfix make the B model, Italeri aslo make the b model as well as the D, academy make the G (which is by far the easiest, most accurate and best fit out them all)

or if you want to go big, hasegawa make the G and the D, revell make the G and the R, academy make the R,

and even bigger, Airfix make a B model in 1/24 and hasegawa make the B model in 1/32.

just to keep your options open lol.

B

Bunkerbarge

So as you can see there is plenty of choice out there!

Do you think you could find out what your father own preferences are with a few crafty questions? Is it a particular model from his own younger days that he remembers? If this is the case it would narrow the possibilities down a bit.

When I was a teenager I made the Revel 1/32nd one with the big snake down the side. I was really impressed with that kit as up till that point I had only made 1/72nd stuff.

A

alan2525

Regarding Scale - I still like some of the 1/72 scale kits, a really nicely finished 1/72 model will still make for some very pleasing results if done well. The larger scales really need a lot of extra work on super detailing, painting, and after market parts to make them worth justifying their larger size!

Although a 1/24 Airfix Stuka with scratchbuilt parts to make a Ju 87 G conversion could certainly be impressive!!

L

lynz

Thanks for all the replies.

GEEDUBBYA - I definately done an introduction....maybe I posted in wrong section :emo10:

After speaking with my father he has said it is infact scale 1:24 as opposed to the 1:72, my mistake, also it was from his younger days, he built it but it was given away by a relative by mistake

Thanks again

P

Pan_Am_Clipper_Girl

OOh go for the 48th Hasegawa Ju87D torpedoflieger. It really is superb.

Special Hobby do a nice A version complete with "trousers", though unfortunately no pig decal.

Over-all the Airfix 1/48th B/R is beautiful and this time doesn't include the boiled sweet canopy, it's nice and clear, wish I had of found that out before I didn't bother with any great detail on the cockpit.:emo10:

If you want something for your dad then the Hasegawa 1/32nd G-1 would make a great one off model.

I really depends if you want to do something from the Battle Of Britain, Africa or anything Ostfront.

R

robert burrow

stuka

\ said:
Hi all, im wondering if anyone could help meThe thing is my dad is really wanting the Stuka - scale 1:72, but I have no idea what the number/letter is after Stuka I was sure it was E70 but it seems not to be, anyway I would ask my dad, but im hoping to get it for his birthday so dont really want to ask.

Thank you for any help[/quote

The stuka's used on the russian front were D models. The B versions were used on the western front of the war.

R

robert burrow

The russian front used D versions of the stuka. The western front used B versions.

M

Mighty Finn

Stuka Numbers Letters

\ said:
Hi all, im wondering if anyone could help meThe thing is my dad is really wanting the Stuka - scale 1:72, but I have no idea what the number/letter is after Stuka I was sure it was E70 but it seems not to be, anyway I would ask my dad, but im hoping to get it for his birthday so dont really want to ask.

Thank you for any help
Stuka's are normaly reffered to as Ju-87's with a sub reference such as D to denote which varient of the basic design. For example the Ju-87D was used early in WW2 around the time of the Battle of Britain.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
\ said:
Thanks for all the replies.GEEDUBBYA - I definately done an introduction....maybe I posted in wrong section :emo10:

After speaking with my father he has said it is infact scale 1:24 as opposed to the 1:72, my mistake, also it was from his younger days, he built it but it was given away by a relative by mistake

Thanks again
Hi Lynz,

I'm working on the old Airfix 1/24 Stuka at the moment - just waiting for a break in the weather as I have to do my painting outside.

I'd say "Go for it". I don't know how accurate it is as I'm no expert, but it builds up very nicely from the box and I've found no major problems with fit; although there are some odd areas which need a little filling and the canopy isn't as clear as it might be.

Main thing is, if you shop around, you can get them fairly cheaply. I got mine from a show a couple of months ago for £30 and I've seen them go on ebay for about £40. An' that's gotta be good value for such an impressive kit (22" wingspan and 18" long) when it's made!

Good luck with your search!

Gern