Sturmmorser Tiger (aka sturmtiger) - AFV Club 1:35

wasdale32

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Built straight from the box apart from the hull zimmerit which was done using self-adhesive aluminium plumbing tape.

A reasonably straightforward build but care is needed fitting the casemate to the hull - some trimming required to get a good join.
The tracks are classic soft rubber AFV Club offerings and are a tad too short - the join needs to be hidden !

Painted with Mr Color acrylics.

IMGP3117 (Large).JPGIMGP3118 (Large).JPGIMGP3119 (Large).JPGIMGP3120 (Large).JPGIMGP3121 (Large).JPGIMGP3122 (Large).JPGIMGP3123 (Large).JPGIMGP3124 (Large).JPGIMGP3125 (Large).JPGIMGP3126 (Large).JPGIMGP3127 (Large).JPGIMGP3128 (Large).JPG

wasdale32

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Zim came out nice. Good camo job.
Cheers - I find that a lot of home-made zimmerit is significantly overscale - original zim is only about 1 - 1.5 cm thick which equates to 0.2 - 0.3 mm thick at 1:35 so the tape gives a more scale accurate thickness & I prefer the more subtle effect

Lee W

Rum before 10 makes you a pirate not an alcoholic
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Nicely done Mark

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Good looking "Morser" Mark. It would be an interesting subject for a small dio. ;)

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
That's turned out well Mark. I've not heard of that method for zimmerit but it has certainly worked well.

wasdale32

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
That's turned out well Mark. I've not heard of that method for zimmerit but it has certainly worked well.
I tried it on a STUG a while back and it worked well - it can also be used to simulate anti-slip by embossing on sandpaper or straps etc - it has the added advantage over paste based zimmerit that it can be scraped off if you're unhappy.

IMG_2545.JPGIMG_2981.JPGIMG_2661.JPG

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I tried this years ago on wine bottle foil, I didn't get as strong an impression as you have here Mark.....how much pressure do you use and what do you back it up with under the foil that causes it to impress so distinctively?

wasdale32

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
I tried this years ago on wine bottle foil, I didn't get as strong an impression as you have here Mark.....how much pressure do you use and what do you back it up with under the foil that causes it to impress so distinctively?
I just rest the aluminium tape on my cutting mat - you need to experiment with the different tools to see exactly how hard to press. The tape is quite a lot thinner than wine bottle foil and a fair bit softer than modern ( not lead ) bottle foil. To do the anti-slip pattern place the sandpaper on the mat and rub the foil on top