Suggestions required.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
OK guys, my next build will be the 1/48 Airfix Sea King for those unaware!!
What I would like to do is a pretty accurate copy of one of my old squadrons cabs. Now, we had a grey waterproof flexible cover, (sea tray), covering the deck of the rear 'business' end by the large cabin door. (It reduced the contamination of salt water on the aircraft metals as well as making it easy to clean up after a SAR call out or such).
Any idea's what may be a useful material to use to replicate such a cover. Or are there any techniques for making perhaps a thin fabric material look like plastic!!
Thanks in advance peeps.

Doug

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I’m hoping for some ideas too!

In fact, the decal sheet has an element of the sea tray (wet fit floor in RAF service), but it is just the external bit outside the main cargo door.
At model club the other night, another member brought in his latest 1/48 Wessex complete with intake cover. He made it from the tissue you get with new shoes.
Apply a layer of clingfilm over the model where the cover is to go, then add the tissue and soak with diluted pva and allow to dry. Remove the tissue and clingfilm, trim the tissue to shape and add attaching lines and pennants and paint as desired. Discard the clingfilm.
I think that’s how he described it.
Experiment first.
You’ll have to figure out how to replicate the tie down pot lids, a grommet puncher and thin plasticard would be my first thought. And a thin piece of card or plasticard for the upright dam section of the sea tray.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
If you don't fancy the above from Steve there's alway thin paper brushed with diluted PVA and allowed to dry in situ with a piece of polythene between it and the model .
Removed when dry , then painted and replaced back on the modelJust seen Rick's post ! Snap

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Doug,
I made a note of some of the observations I made during my SK build where potential improvements could be made. Some are pretty much straying into hardcore river counting territory but they’re included for consideration.
You were a valuable source of information for me so I hope you find this useful. My knowledge is limited to RAF HAR3’s but if I can help in any way just ask.

Forward door, upper and lower hold open stays and cable restraint.

Winch connectors for hydraulic and electrical plugs.

Winch frame spot lamp.

The ASW radome could do with a murphy proof tab to ensure correct orientation when attaching to mount frame.

No wet fit floor/sea tray option – this is a major feature of any SAR Sea King.

Lack of seatbelts.

Weighted tyres.

Lack of MS 10 crew life raft.

Grab handles above cabin windows for escape are in the kit but not obvious to fit. Fine brass wire might be a better option.

I also added a hot rod, ice accretion indicator under the second pilots floor level window, using a paint brush bristle.

Outside Air Temperature (OAT) probe above the centre windscreen - a thin bristle like above might be an option

The cargo door crewman’s grab rail (D28) is in the kit but no reference in the instructions.

EAPS/SNIPS engine intake compressor wash connectors not featured. These are located just above the forward entry door.

No sea anchor lanyard.

Rotor brake handle at pilot’s overhead panel.

Tail fold unlock warning flag if doing the cab with folded blades.

No Semi-Automatic Cargo Release Unit (SACRU) option or release cable.

Under the forward personnel lower door is a round moulding. I have no idea what this is for but it is plated over in photos of Sea Kings in later years.

Tail wheel static wick discharger.

Horizontal stabiliser static wicks.

Your chosen cab may have variations to the aerial layouts, remember you shared a photo which may have included weapons mounts and connectors.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Thanks for your post Rick. @rickoshea52
I did make a few notes from your build which I kept as a reference. I must say we are along the same wavelength, albeit I hadn't given a thought to the static wicks! Nor the Comp Wash points tbh!! (I was still thinking Wessex and Wasp for that - metal lance and ring placed over the intake)
The MS10 will be a challenge, for me!
As I don't think I will be rushing this, (as much as I would like), I do plan to get hold of some figures, one in the front right, another in the back. (It was SOP on 819, 1 pilot and the crewman would man the aircraft and flash up No1 engine, flash up back seat equipment, radar, sonar, radio's, check of SAR equipment ending up with a winch functioning check. Leaving the Obs and Captain of the aircraft to get any final ops brief - especially if on SAROPs!!) ASW operations tended to find all the crew man the SK at the same time.

Edited bit!!
Just remembered the extended mic/tel leads in the back of ASW Kings. Piece of thin wire wrapped to form a ling pig tail!! Positioned just next to the sonar operators position. Giving the ability to move from the back of the helicopter to the front if needed!! (Handy for moving the stiffs to the front)

Methinks it will be an evolving build. It's due to be delivered any time now!! Had notification from RM!!!! I think SWMBO is more exited than I am.
I even have some Eduard IP and back seat detailing due sometime soon!!! (Yet another Waspie first) Now that level of detailing I am dreading - nothing tried - nothing learned!!

The idea's of the sea tray are all good. Keep em coming folks!! I have an idea of using thin plastic electric led for the upright portions surrounding the seat legs!!!!! (We'll see!).

I even have a plan for a very basic dio!!! Black tarmac with a broken white circle with the SK plonked in the centre!! (Just like the line at Prestwick). North site hadn't been electrified so no ground lighting!!!

Thank you all for your inputs. At this stage of planning it's all good stuff.
A year ago I would never have imaging actually planning a 'plastic model'. How times change!!

Last edited:

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Oh I'm in raptures. Well nearly!!! It's not that exiting.
However!! I have found they do a Houchin kit in 1/48. Means any diorama I have festering in the back of my head is becoming more a reality!!
Any static aircraft sitting on the line, as my SK will be, would have a power unit or at least a decent battery set up hooked to the aircraft for starting. Ooooo - looking like my idea may become a reality - maybe!!!! ;) :smiling5:

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
For sheets, canvas covers I use some industrial tissue liberated a long time ago, it has a texture to it. It takes paint well after a coat of very thin disolved plastic sprue/glue.

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
However!! I have found they do a Houchin kit in 1/48. Means any diorama I have festering in the back of my head is becoming more a reality!!
Any static aircraft sitting on the line, as my SK will be, would have a power unit or at least a decent battery set up hooked to the aircraft for starting. Ooooo - looking like my idea may become a reality - maybe!!!! ;) :smiling5:
Lookout wife, you are in luck tonight... :tongue-out3:
:smiling4:

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick

Flightpath models did a fire extinguisher in 1/72; maybe they did one in 1/48 too as they did both scales.

I just had a look at their website, after many years, and see they have some detailing sets including SACRU in their plans.

Last edited:

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Flightpath models did a fire extinguisher in 1/72; maybe they did one in 1/48 too as they did both scales.

I just had a look at their website, after many years, and see they have some detailing sets including SACRU in their plans.
It was Flightpath I saw the Houchin!! The fire ext would set the scene nicely!!!
As for the SACRU!! I'll have to add that to the list if it comes to fruition!! Although it wouldn't be a total loss as I notice from my pics the SACRU wasn't fitted all the time.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
For sheets, canvas covers I use some industrial tissue liberated a long time ago, it has a texture to it. It takes paint well after a coat of very thin disolved plastic sprue/glue.
Got me thinking, lens cleaning tissues tend to be fairly robust. Let one dry out and possibly use that.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Aluminium cooking foil can work - It holds it's shape well & cuts to a sharp edge - I've used Gorilla glue to fix, but CA would work as well
Dave

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Aluminium cooking foil can work - It holds it's shape well & cuts to a sharp edge - I've used Gorilla glue to fix, but CA would work as well
Dave
Thanks Dave. Will tin foil take paint?
I could see that working actually,:smiling3: I may reinforce the underside with tape to reduce possible ripping.

I was also going to use tin foil to replicate a long metal strip that holds the sea tray down where the cabin deck meets the sliding cargo door. That wouldn't require any painting at all.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Thanks Dave. Will tin foil take paint?
I could see that working actually,:smiling3: I may reinforce the underside with tape to reduce possible ripping.

I was also going to use tin foil to replicate a long metal strip that holds the sea tray down where the cabin deck meets the sliding cargo door. That wouldn't require any painting at all.
The foil from Chinese takeaways tubs is much thicker & I've used it for crumpled mudguards & seatbelts, straps etc.
As long as you clean & prime well, paint sticks - not as well as to plastic, but these are delicate parts & don't take well to handling anyway............
Dave

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
The current issue of Scale Aircraft Modelling has a feature on the interior of a Gannet based SK with lots of photos showing the layout and role equipment.