Sunken U boat

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Hi Guys

it will be a couple of weeks before I actually start work in this one - got some bathroom tiling to do first - but thought I would outline the idea.

It is going to be another boxed diorama, quite a wide frame compared to the opening so it will be quite dark, which is a key part of the concept. In essence it will be the UBoat (or part of it) really rusty and covered in barnacles etc sitting on the sea bed. It will actually be on a ledge with a drop behind it which I think will help create the impression of distance between it and the dark blue background which will represent the vast ocean stretching in to the distance.

now the fun part. i received the LEDs today, three different sizes, I have yet to decide which one to use, but one will have a scratch built remote submersible vehicle built around it. The power wire will be strengthened with wire and made to look like the RSV's umbilical chord going up to the surface. This will serve two functions: 1 to provide power to the LED, and 2 to support the RSV, enabling it to be positioned so it is 'floating' in the sea above the U Boat. When switched on the beam of the LED will light up the sub, but hopefully keeping the areas around the sub quite dark.

well, that's the idea, the easy part Is the idea!

this is the kit :

24A4A667-8400-43E5-A632-0E9924DA0DA1.jpeg

In 144 scale the sub is about 8 inches long which is a nice size for a boxed diorama.

Peter

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Sounds fantastic Peter. You've made me want to do some research now. (Start streaming Das Boot - that'll do for starters!!).
I'll defo be up for following this un when you start it!!

Happy tiling!!!!!

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
A great idea Peter. I've seen wrecks modelled with various degrees of success. Your idea, with the lighting element, will take it to another level.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
YES Peter it sounds a great idea with the LEDS as they bring the dio to life brilliant an as been said i will also follow your build as i havnt seen this done before so something diffent an new but till you start it happy tiling
chrisb

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
A great subject Peter.
I did a similar model a while back. Not as sophisticated as your excellent idea for lighting though. - I just shone a torch at mine through a hole in a bit of cardboard!

I look forward to the start of your build.

Ron

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Thanks for all the positive comments. i needed some stuff for the tiling so I took the opportunity to buy some plywood for the box.

Peter

Last edited: