Suzuki gsx1100s first ever build !

First Name
Chris
Fair enough, although the engines on show with this bike so you may want to reconsider. If you go down the thinned oil paint wash route you can take it all off again if you don't like it, same goes for clay washes.
What one would you recommend ?

How do I go about removing should I mess things up!?

First Name
Chris
Another question. How do you all go about painting the brake discs?

The inner bit is black and the outside is silver. Can see it being fiddly!

Thanks

simontie

SMF Supporter
First Name
simon

How do I go about removing should I mess things up
Another question. How do you all go about painting the brake discs?

The inner bit is black and the outside is silver. Can see it being fiddly!
G
Thanks
Circle cutter and masking tape. Or air brush the lighter colour and hand paint the darker colour if your using tamiya paints i find they flow better using a small amount of thinners

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob

If you are using oil based washes (or enamel) it will clean off with odourless thinners. Clay washes are water based, you can literally use water it your airbrush and power wash it off.

First Name
Chris
I’m back again with another question.

I’ve primed and pained the exhaust however I’m not happy.

I’ve a spot which is lumpy and I’m wondering what’s the best way to smooth it down now it’s been painted.

What sand paper would anyone recommend? It’s one of many areas I’m lacking in knowledge !

KarlW

Mediocre modeller extraodinaire.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
I’m back again with another question.

I’ve primed and pained the exhaust however I’m not happy.

I’ve a spot which is lumpy and I’m wondering what’s the best way to smooth it down now it’s been painted.

What sand paper would anyone recommend? It’s one of many areas I’m lacking in knowledge !
Sand and respray, it's a good habit to get into to check after priming, any wet and dry will do just use the higher grit numbers and go easy.

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
very fine wet and dry type....dont use coarse cos you will just score the plastic

i actually found someone on ebay selling off cuts of foam backed sanding sheets for want of a better discription.............seems they make the stuff for trade and they sell off the off cuts..........got about 5 different grade, and enough to last me 10 years for about 6 quid!...bargain

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul

to be honest i wouldnt try anything for this kit.......its your first and its more important to finish it and get some satisfaction from it so it dosnt put you off doing more!............at a later date you can always use it as a test mule for trying things like washes on lol

as for washes theres several ways

oils with oil thinners is great and if it goes wrong you just flush with thinners but it can take days to dry

i like enamel paint thinned with ordinary white spirt...again, goes wrong just flush with white spiit.......just dont have as long as oils.........can dry off in a few hours.......trick is working out the paint to thinners ratio, takes some practice

cheating way is to buy ready made wash........Vallejo Game and Citadel (game workshop) both make great waterbased washes meant for figures like Warhammer

KarlW

Mediocre modeller extraodinaire.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
Looking good, won't be long before you're stripping the kit chrome and painting that too.....

First Name
Chris
Looking good, won't be long before you're stripping the kit chrome and painting that too.....
Yes I’ve already been looking at that for next time. The chrome is not the best and marks really easy and just doesn’t look good.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looking good Chris. Just like building a real one isn’t it :thumb2: