Tag Picture Quiz

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Bloomin' ‘eck!
I didn’t recognise the ship at all, but I googled for “British warship cat” and that turned up the exact same photo, which in turn lead to the page I linked to.

BTW, I like how you can see the gun’s construction very well from these photos. On the Dreadnought photo, from the inside out the first ring is the “inner ‘A’ tube" with the rifling, the second is the ‘A’ tube, the third ring is the wire-wrapping (several kilometres of square-profile wire wrapped tightly around the ‘A’ tube), then the ‘B’ tube shrunk over all of this, and the stepped bit further down the barrel shows where the jacket begins.

Your turn.
Keeping it nautical, where did the following thing come from and why is it historically important?

Schermafbeelding 2018-08-16 om 10.38.55.png

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
Morning Jakko.
This is a British plaque,possibly part of a ship's figurehead.Similar design is used for HMS Victory- the famous one. Now residing in the Rijksmuseum.
battle of Leghorn (livorno) ?
Jon.

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
Wrong.
It's the escutcheon from HMS Royal Charles captured during the Medway raid in 1667 by..........the Dutch!
The success of the raid led to a peace treaty favourable to the Dutch and ending the second Anglo-Dutch war.
Can we have it back please?
Jon.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Spot on in identifying it, but you haven’t mentioned the historical significance yet. The peace treaty could be considered one, but it wasn’t what I was thinking of.

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
Eee. Significant to who?
She was originally Naseby but renamed Royal Charles on picking up Charles II and delivering him to Dover,thus establishing the Restoration.
Jon.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Significant as in: nowadays.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Since you’re obviously struggling, I’d better just say what I was going for: it’s, to the best of my knowledge, the only significant part of a 17th century ship of that size (and isn’t a wreck) that remains today.

Jon, given your correct answer and valiant effort, it’s clearly your turn :smiling3:

D

Deleted member 6559

Historically important because the raid on the Medway and the capture of the Charles has been forgotten in the UK, as defeats usually are in the countries that suffer them. Britain usually tries to find some redeeming factor in order to remember such events, eg Dunkirk, Isandlwana.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Historically important because the raid on the Medway and the capture of the Charles has been forgotten in the UK, as defeats usually are in the countries that suffer them.
Some eleven years ago, there was a naval review in Vlissingen to commemorate the 400th birthday of Michiel de Ruyter (for the Brits in the audience: our equivalent to your Horatio Nelson). This is the ship the British Royal Navy sent:

HMS_Chatham.jpg

… which certainly shows they haven’t forgotten.

Britain usually tries to find some redeeming factor in order to remember such events, eg Dunkirk, Isandlwana.
Not just you. “Dan liever de lucht in” (approx.: “I’d rather be blown up”) is still a saying in Dutch, and Karel Doorman is seen as our last naval hero, in the tradition of De Ruyter (among many others).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6559

1st Regiment Chasseurs a Cheval wearing the Kinski coat, 1804-12.

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
Yep.I think he's 1st regiment too though the picture was titled 7th.
He's a line Chasseur à Cheval as opposed to the more widely known Chasseurs à Cheval de la Garde.
They performed the usual light cavalry role as well as fighting on foot.More numerous than the hussar regiments mainly because they were cheaper to clothe and equip,not being given to the airs and graces of the Hussars!
Jon.
P.s. The Kinski coat was a single -breasted tunic.

D

Deleted member 6559

Duh!

You take it Jon.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
No no no.Have another go Peter but do it right!
He is,by the way, a private in the US marine corps in full dress.1880-1899.
Marine regiments were created in response to WW1 .Prior to that marines were allocated to specific ships though marines from a number of ships could be brought together to form marine battalions for specific tasks.
Jon.

Lee W

Rum before 10 makes you a pirate not an alcoholic
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Some eleven years ago, there was a naval review in Vlissingen to commemorate the 400th birthday of Michiel de Ruyter (for the Brits in the audience: our equivalent to your Horatio Nelson). This is the ship the British Royal Navy sent:

HMS_Chatham.jpg

… which certainly shows they haven’t forgotten..

F87 HMS Chatham, batch 3 type 22, my first ship when I completed training back in 1989

Lee