Tamiya 1/12 Martini Porsche 935

• Thread starter Deleted member 3568
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3568

Hi all just won this on ebay(won't be starting it for a while as this covid is doing a real job on me atm)

s-l1600-1.jpg

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
Got a front row seat I have always gained one myself but watching your build will have to do for the moment.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Ken,
will follow this, with interest - I've been lurking on ebay, watching the 1/24 track race cars, and those prices have taken a steep hike, so a 1/12 car is far above my budget!, so, as Peter says, watching your build will have to do!
Dave

D

Deleted member 3568

You just have to be on there at the right time when I got this I had scrolled through all the pages at around 250 - 300 quid plus between 70-80 quid postage(mostly they were from china) and at the bottom was this one from brirmigham it was at 90 quid so I set my limit at 110 and got it for 108 which is still cheaper than the re release Tamiya did in 2020 which was 149 quid (if you can find one for sale) that was like when they re released the 1/6 Honda 750 k4 oh how I wanted that kit but it was released for such a short time and in such limited numbers I didn't get it, by the time I knew about it, it was sold out everywhere.
Now it's back on ebay for stupid money again, I still really really want it but not at the price of 2 or 3 other kits.
It's like my holy grail of kits the Tamiya 1/6 Yamaha 1100 midnight special I do see it on ebay occasionally last time I saw it and I was a bit flush I put my limit at 300, it went for 457 and then they had to pay 60 quid postage
Much as I want that kit my missus would chop me up into little pieces and Bury me in the garden if I paid that much for a kit (well she would be very cross anyway) I guess I will just have to dream about that one.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Ken,
my Holy Grail is the 1/12 Matchbox Vincent Black Shadow! - but being a tad tight, it'll stay that way
Dave

D

Deleted member 3568

I remember building that when it came out (don't know where it is now) lovely bike, a very low bike not built for tall people.

D

Deleted member 3568

OK so I've made a start, strangely for a Tamiya kit there are some horrid seams on the front end.

IMG-0370.jpg

IMG-0369.jpg

Nothing is glued in the front yet, I've masked the inside of the fuel tank and tried to replicate some fuel in there.

I won't be gluing the oil tank cage in until I've finished the tank (I remember that from the Vaillant build)

IMG-0375.jpg

IMG-0374.jpg

IMG-0373.jpg

IMG-0372.jpg

IMG-0371.jpg

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Interesting stuff Ken. I made the Tamiya Mini Cooper a while ago and it also had seams like that on the bodywork. Must be something in the moulding technology, multi part perhaps?

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Nice start Ken. I've never done a car but was gifted one a few years ago.... Airfix 1/32 DBR9....I keep looking at it and thinking one day.

Will follow this with interest.

ATB.

Andrew

D

Deleted member 3568

Hi all added battery cables.

IMG-0402.jpg

IMG-0401.jpg

and starter motor cables.

IMG-0409.jpg

IMG-0410.jpg

I've got to say I'm super happy with the metal effects on this. The casings would be made of magnesium and I've worked up close and personal on hundreds of these and I don't think I could get more realistic results, I tried a different approach, normally I use ABT engine grease thinned down to a wash but I didn't want to disturb the mig steel colour I had used which I know white spirit based wash would so I tried a wash of vallejo engine grey over it. I'm loving the result, I can see me using this again.

IMG-0408.jpg

IMG-0407.jpg

IMG-0406.jpg

IMG-0405.jpg

IMG-0404.jpg

IMG-0403.jpg

D

Deleted member 3568

Did some work on the fuel pump, Tamiya would have you use plastic tube for the fuel lines whereas they are metal on the real thing.

Since I've used artistic licence already and depicted gold plated nuts and bolts I decided to depict gold plated fuel lines too.

IMG-0433.jpg

IMG-0434.jpg

IMG-0439.jpg

IMG-0438.jpg

IMG-0437.jpg

IMG-0436.jpg

IMG-0435.jpg

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Ken

Just had a catch-up. That's coming on beautifully. Love the colour of the engine!!!

ATB

Andrew

D

Deleted member 3568

Hi all well I'm back from Scotland so did some work on this today, this is as much detail as the kit supplies I've done a trial fit in the body to see how it looks, I've got more pipework and wiring to add yet.

IMG-0482.jpg

IMG-0481.jpg

IMG-0480.jpg

IMG-0479.jpg

IMG-0478.jpg

IMG-0477.jpg

IMG-0476.jpg

IMG-0474.jpg

IMG-0475.jpg