Tamiya 1/24 Nissan R390 GT1 - by popular vote

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Next build
nissan r390.jpg

by an overwhelming majority ( well one! ) of votes cast by the esteemed forum members! I really couldn't make my mind up between this & the Revell Ford GT

Now, I'm not going to repost the sprue shots etc - as I did an inbox review of this in April, just after I acquired it you can find it here:
https://www.scale-models.co.uk/threads/tamiya-1-24-nissan-r390-gt1-inbox-review.39132/
This was an ebay auction swoop, at just over £21 delivered
Construction will start shortly
Dave

Last edited:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Looking forward to it Dave. I imagine the biggest issue is getting a perfect gloss finish.
Jim

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Oh well, you can build the GT40 next!
Pete

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Well I saw the original poll at an early stage, when the Ford was a spoiler ahead and thought "No point in voting for the Nissan, it'll be the Ford all the way" - yet the Nissan won! I'm so elated, I won't deny there have been a few tears shed as well as corks popped. Awesome result!!

*Caution: this post may contain hyperbole.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Parts clipped off sprue, glue applied - construction started
DSCF3430.JPGDSCF3431.JPG
Apologies for he pictures, but all the parts for far are black ( apart from 3 ) & contrast isn't too high. Most of this is dry fitted, so I can prime & detail paint more easily. It's actually much bigger than I realised
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Having to take things a bit slowly at the moment, still not firing on all cylinders!
Here's were the build is at the moment,
DSCF3432.JPGDSCF3433.JPG
The engine bay still has a lot more bits to add, exhausts, turbos, intercoolers etc
Nissan-R390-21.jpg
I've looked at quite a few pictures of the engine bay, and I don't think any of them have the same detail colours! So I'll go with the Tamiya suggestions with a few of my own tweaks
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
My change of medication finally seems to be having an effect ( also with the big drop in temperature ), and I've actually been at the bench & planning ahead for the painting of the body.......
The chassis is completed, and I can put it aside while I pay attention to the body work
DSCF3434.JPGDSCF3436.JPG
The body work is red and black, I'm going to spray the red first, and mask off. Just as well the temperature has dropped, as I wouldn't dare to airbrush when it's really hot.
I'm going to carefully prep the bodywork, and leave much longer for the primer and basecoat to harden off before moving on & masking the black - the finish is really important for this beauty
Dave

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Great work and glad to hear you are feeling much better Dave. I agree and can't wait till our temps drop here. Can't spray anything when it's over 30°C everyday with no relief in sight. Even brush painting is a prob in this heat....

Prost
Allen

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Pleased to hear your medication is working Dave. Congratulations to Matron! :smiling2:
Pete

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Dave

Sorry, missed the start of this. That's coming on nicely.

More importantly, glad to hear your feeling a bit better!!!

ATB.

Andrew

First Name
Hong
I'm very sure the red & black colour combo gonna be very striking. I can't wait to see when it's finished, Richard.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
The bodywork makes an appearance - after a wipedown with IPA, a primer coat and a basecoat of Vallejo Blood Red laid down
DSCF3437.JPG
It's all the same colour, just the light causing them to look different. I'll leave that to really dry overnight, then decide whether it needs another coat of red, or I can go on to masking for the black areas.
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
It didn't need another coat of red, so I sat down & added the masking tape - a little fiddly in places!
Then a coat of black primer, then a topcoat of Vallejo Black mixed with Vallejo Gloss Varnish.
After a nervous wait - peeling off the masking tape!
DSCF3438.JPGDSCF3439.JPG
Phew - that's turned out better than I hoped - I had one area of minor bleeding, on the underside of the rear wing:
DSCF3440.JPG
I'm going to leave this overnight, then look to see if any areas need any attention, before going on to applying the first varnish coat.............
Dave

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Looking good Dave, but did you miss a bit of masking on the LH side, behind the top corner of the door?
Pete

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Looking good Dave, but did you miss a bit of masking on the LH side, behind the top corner of the door?
Pete
Had to go and have a look - but nothing there - just a trick of the angle the photo was taken from!
Dave