Tamiya 1/24 Nissan R390 GT1 - by popular vote

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Looking good Dave, I was hoping you were going to use AK 3 rd gen on this as you we're changing over so I see what you thought.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Glad you're feeling better Dave. Paintwork is certainly eyecatching. Have fun with all those decals.

First Name
Hong
The red/black scheme makes the fender/bonnet vents stand out pretty and impressively, David.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Looking good Dave, I was hoping you were going to use AK 3 rd gen on this as you we're changing over so I see what you thought.
John,
I'm still working my way through my Vallejo paints - I found a bottle of Model Air Blood Red lurking in my paint box - due to my Yorkshire nature, I'm not going to throw away useable paint!!! the AK3 replacement is still ongoing..........
Dave

• Love
Reactions: JR

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I ws preparing for a decal session, when I realised that I needed to add the windows first! The Tamiya masks for the windows were a real pig to get centralised & took quite a few attempts. Anyway NOW I'm ready to start on those decals!
DSCF3442.JPG
Not visible are the added light pods & mesh behind the front wheel arch slots............
Dave

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
John,
I'm still working my way through my Vallejo paints - I found a bottle of Model Air Blood Red lurking in my paint box - due to my Yorkshire nature, I'm not going to throw away useable paint!!! the AK3 replacement is still ongoing..........
Dave
I don't blame you one but, I've unfortunately got loads of Vallejo and Amig , only replacing with the AK3rd Gen when those are empty. Have bought a set of AK for the Mossie thought !

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Decals - you have to be careful to add them in the correct sequence - there are white squares, which go underneath others ( those on the rooftop nearly got me! )
DSCF3443.JPG
Some of the decals need applying over the two parts of the body assembled - I'll leave those until last - hopefully, I can carefully cut them along the joint lines after they've dried, so the engine cover can be moved. Like all decals, you go from large to small, and I'm leaving overnight drying time before moving onto the next session. I'm using MiG 2-part Decal solution..........
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Decals - you have to be careful to add them in the correct sequence - there are white squares, which go underneath others ( those on the rooftop nearly got me! )
View attachment 461513
Some of the decals need applying over the two parts of the body assembled - I'll leave those until last - hopefully, I can carefully cut them along the joint lines after they've dried, so the engine cover can be moved. Like all decals, you go from large to small, and I'm leaving overnight drying time before moving onto the next session. I'm using MiG 2-part Decal solution..........
Dave

Last edited:

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Nice progress Dave, doesn't look easy to get a smooth gloss finish with all the paint and decal stages... Have fun!

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Decals complete - chassis & body united....................
DSCF3445.JPG
A few little bits to add - wing, windscreen wiper & aerial then there will be a bit of touching up to do before starting the final gloss varnish coats.
The next pictures will appear in the 'completed' section..................
Dave