Tamiya 1/32 P-51 Mustang - progress so far...

T

T. van Vuuren

Wow, looking good !

Will be watching this build closely.

Theuns

B

beav1013

been wanting to get this since i heard about it. definitely interested to see your thoughts and the finished product.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Looks very good to me. I will follow this build with a lot of interest be good to see what you think of it.

I have ordered the Tamiya 1:32 Spit XVI from John and intend to also make their Mustang and Zero as well.

For the big question is what will they come up with next in this series and how on earth will they manage to top the Mustang?

S

snapper41

Thoughts so far on this - it's every bit as good as you'd expect. I've done the Spit IX and the Zero, and this one carries on the excellence. Get one - you won't regret it!!

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Very nice work. I've got one in the cupboard so I'm going to be following your progress with a vested interest!

Cheers

Steve

F

FMTango

It looks as if you have this one knocked down to size. One of the most realistic ones I have seen in a while.

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
That's looking very nice can't wait to see the paint go on your moving at a pace now!.

Vaughan

P

pnevrin

Hi snapper41,

We are at about the same stage roughly but I've run into a major problem. When I joined the two halves of the fuselage together, the interior and engine must have somehow been placed slightly too far forward. This has now resulted in major issues with fitting the other parts around the engine and irreversible as far as I can see. Id din't think it would be possible and every connector inside the fuselage halves seemed to match up at the time, even impossible to fit incorrectly. Anyway, just wanted to see if you caught that in a dry-fit or something. Your Mustang is looking good so far (which version are you going for?)

best

Per

S

snapper41

The only fit problem I've had is with the engine cowlings - there is a slight gap between the top cowling and the side ones, forward of the exhaust stacks. Other than that, it's all been ok - and I think I can rectify it!

P

pnevrin

\ said:
The only fit problem I've had is with the engine cowlings - there is a slight gap between the top cowling and the side ones, forward of the exhaust stacks. Other than that, it's all been ok - and I think I can rectify it!
As it turns out I'm ok! I had to file down the width of the part on the supercharger the screwed together with the cockpit to shorten the whole package and now I'm ok. My cowlings actually fit really snug. This is one amazing model! Just wished I had more experience in spray painting before starting it. Looks so much better.. anyway, sorry for hijacking your thread and good luck with the rest of the build. Looking forward to seeing your paint scheme.

best

Per

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Looking good. I like the variations in the NMF. She's really coming along now.

Vaughan.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
She looks a beaut..... looking forward to starting on mine in RAF colours for which I have the after market decals but it will be a while yet.

S

snapper41

Thanks; the NMF is all done with Alclad II - 4 shades of aluminium. It's tempting to do every panel a different shade, but restraint is the key, as they say!

B

beav1013

Hey Snapper, looking real good so far. Did you use any Airframe Aluminum? I just got my kit in the mail yesterday and am trying to get an idea of what the non-shiny aluminum would look like next to Aluminum and Duraluminum.

Are you going to put any kind of top coat over the Alclad for decals and washes?