Tamiya 1/32 Spitfire Mk8

T

T. van Vuuren

Yesterday I was asked to build a 1/32 Tam Spitty Mk8 for a friend.
Need;ess to say I was interested to see how well it builds after my recent experience with the Tam Mustprang.
I woke at 0600 to pouring rain and with all my plans shot to hell I started this kit expecting another longterm build.
However I was surprised how quick it is going sofar.
Here is the basic components of the cockpit sofar.

Painted in Humbrol RAF interior...

The parts take very little if any cleanup compared to the damn revell 1/32 Spit Mk2 I am busy with.

It will be in the colours of the USAAF in Italy 1944.

Theuns

T

T. van Vuuren

All detail is out the box except for the copper hydrolic libed to the right side controller aswell as the throttle quadrant's control pudhrods.

On my mustang I preshaded the sidepannels but the effect made for a to dark look so this time I just did a pinwash to give some depth.

Theuns

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Enoy the build Theuns, its a great kit and I am sure you will do it proud...

T

T. van Vuuren

Ta. I got the wing and tail on last nught, the fit is superb. I also got the whole engine built up in a few hours. This thing really is just shake and bake.

Theuns

S

Spree

Yesterday I was asked to build a 1/32 Tam Spitty Mk8 for a friend.
Need;ess to say I was interested to see how well it builds after my recent experience with the Tam Mustprang.
I woke at 0600 to pouring rain and with all my plans shot to hell I started this kit expecting another longterm build.
However I was surprised how quick it is going sofar.
Here is the basic components of the cockpit sofar.

Painted in Humbrol RAF interior...

The parts take very little if any cleanup compared to the damn revell 1/32 Spit Mk2 I am busy with.

It will be in the colours of the USAAF in Italy 1944.

Theuns
What influenced your decision on colour pallet for this?

T

T. van Vuuren

If you are refering to the desert colours wit the USAAF decals, it is what the ovnre wanted :smiling:

Theuns

T

T. van Vuuren

Here is the wingroot fit on the Tam spitty, a light sanding and it will be ready for paint. Only thin cement was needed, no filler.

The engine took about 90 min to assemble ready for paint.

Good progress for only 3 days work
icon_biggrin.gif

In the meantime I painted all the bits for the engine mounds and firewall.

Theuns

james pithouse

Models are fun just ask kpnuts
First Name
James
close the canopy its cold I see they foregot the canpony and the rest off the bits and peices. THOSE MECHANIC CREW ARE FIRED AND THE DESIGNER THEY NEED SHOOTING for treason and sabotaging this build. great work tho theuns. liking it :D:D

T

T. van Vuuren

It just goes to show how heavy this engine was f it had to sit so close to the cockpit in order to ballance.

Theuns

T

T. van Vuuren

These radiators really "look the part" with a bit of a pinwash
icon_smile.gif

The rest of the engine assembly was a tad fiddly, (was the same on my P-51) but it looks nice.

Theuns

T

T. van Vuuren

This is not the best quality pic but you can see the preshading (my hand was a tad shaky it seems lol)

I mixed sonme Tamiya blue with white and added a few drops of red to give it that Azure look that has a very slight "violett" tint. Difficult to see in the cell pic.

Next will be my mix of faded Mid stone and dark earth

Theuns

T

T. van Vuuren

I decided to preshade the top aswell, I usually do not but the nice rivet detail and shading might be enough to not need a pin wash.
I also usually do a light base colour all over then mask and do the darker colour but in this case I think it would hide the pre shading.

Theuns

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looks fantastic Theuns , the pre shade is showing through nicely , you wont need to bother with a panel line wash , keep it up cheers tony

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
This is going very quick and Very well too.
Nice job on the pre-shade. Showing through just nice.

T

T. van Vuuren

Thanx, I got the faded dark earth on, the shading now looks a little overdome on the mid ston in natural light but indoors it is better.
Enough detail is showing through so that I do not need a wash on the top surface .

I decided to paint on the yellow USAAF wingbands as I was worried that the yellow decal would show the camo demarcation line.

Hoping to get some clearcoat on today while the weather is warm.

TheunsDSC00112.JPG