Tamiya 1/35 Panzer II ' The Spoils of War'

D

dubster72

Here's my Panzer II finished! It was an easy build ( about 50 parts! ) and the painting & weathering were very enjoyable. I'm very happy with the final outcome & welcome all comments, positive or negative ;)

The base is a picture frame from a poundshop, the grass is paintbrush bristles & the fence was made from leftover bits of plastic & sprue.

And a B/W shot

Thanks for looking!

Patrick

M

mobear

it looks wonderful mate,just that yellow decal on the side keeps catching my eye,doesnt look planted firmly for some reason,if it fell off i wouldnt mind,apart from that its ace

mobear

ps i still love the leaf springs and tracks

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
Top work buddy lOve it all nice to see it done and in s small dio...the figures look quality natural pose and nicely painted

Geegad

C

CDW

you could have at least got a decent label for the bottle, that looks just a cheap french plonk to me :smiling3: :smiling3:

Jokin' aside matey

Fantastic work, so simple yet lots to take in, the paintwork is brilliant - the technique definitely has an effect on the outcome.

I like the figures, well chosen for the posture etc, and the ground work compliments the model completely.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Nice work Patrick.

Well painted figures, well proportioned dio base and a fabulous looking tank.

did you scratch build the headphones or did they come with the tank commander?

Just a heads up - german afv fire extinguishers were grey (lighter grey than panzer grau) or the colour of the tank. Occasionally tank crews would paint their own (some museum onesi've seen are black) so there's a little room for artistic licence. Restored panzers tend to have modern red extinguishers but this wasn't the case in the 1940s.

A great looking panzer II, 5 stars and I'm really looking forward to any future builds.

Cheers

P

P

Polux

Fantastic work!!

The tank paint looks great, as the figures. I like very much your base, the color of the wood and his extent they give a bonus to the set!!

Also I see the headphones too, in some photos they are and others not ... some with thread and others not? Do not you like them?

Congratulations again!!

For my it will be a reference when I does mine!!

5* from me!!

Regards

Polux

Really nice weathering, but one thing that disturb me - it looks a bit hmm.. plastic? Maybe you should add some mud and dust?

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
...Add mud and dust?!

Sorry, i totally disagree. Weathering in context please - this Panzer is on a road.

There are too many armour models that are either plastered in mud or rusted to bits for no apparent reason. These vehicles were maintained by trained crews and battalions of back up. AFV modellers may like their grime but it shouldn't be seen as the default condition nor should it be used to hide poor modelling skills. Thick mud has it's place but this tank rests on a well maintained cobbled road in spring/summer and not the Russian steppe in mid winter.

Not only that, it has a covering of dust!

Patrick, take it from me, this does not look plastic

T

treyzx10r

Great looking build Patrick,really like the B/W shot! Gotta ask,whats a 'poundshop'?

P

phalinmegob

poundland,superpound,supersavers etc most areas have a local shop that sells everything at a quid or less and are usually full of junk but you can also get some really usefull stuff in them

C

CDW

\ said:
Gotta ask,whats a 'poundshop'?
They're similar to the 99cent stores you have where everything is less than a dollar (if they still exist), in our shops everythings 100 pence (1 pound)

D

dubster72

Thanks for all your kind comments guys! They're always nice to hear!

Paul, the actual kit doesn't come with an extinguisher so I added it from the spares box. I thought it'd look better in red, just so it's clear as to what it is!

As for the ' plastic ' remark, I completely disagree! Personally I think it looks fine as it is. Mud, dust & rust are often overdone on AFVs, usually to compensate for a lack of detail or a flaw in the painting.

On this one there is a light amount of pale dust effects which is sufficient I think. But thank you for your input!

Colin, I'm not a wine drinker so I'd not know quality from cheap plonk! Plus my eyes aren't good enough to write on that tiny square of rizla paper! ;)

Thanks again to you all

Patrick

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I like this a lot. A nice simple base that shows the model and not absorbs it.

I like the weathering. Dusty with the odd run of rust where it should be.

The only thing that caught my eye was the tracks. Are they not meant to be the same way around. You are not alone, I've seen it a few times now.

Well worth the five stars though.

Ian M

P

panzer6

Your's model is lovely, as you said, not everything must going rust and getting muddy. This type of wear looking naturally as it comes ruffly with time and usage at battlefield. Kind regards. Bart.

D

dubster72

Thanks Ian & Bart! It's a simple & dinky kit, but quite good even so.

And the tracks are reversed Ian, I only noticed after spending hours gluing them & didn't have the will to start over!

Cheers

Patrick

C

CDW

as we've said Patrick, sometimes the tracks were reversed so no problem as far as I'm concerned.

D

dubster72

I hardly notice it myself now Colin! It must be age because I'm getting mellowed!

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Well for 50 parts it looks great, infact just as good as others with many other parts ! Really nice job PatricK