Tamiya 1/35 Panzerkampfwagon AUSF D

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
I think this is the cleanest tank I've ever done and I chose to do the early 1939 polish campaign version , I decided to put some unit numbers on the turret just because I thought it looked better as I couldn't find any reference to any unit numbers and the instructions were of little use I chose to put the decals where I wanted so it's not an authentic campaign tank

Anyone who builds tanks will have built one of these and know it's a great kit and cheep as well

I decided to paint this in a lighter grey as the German tank grey is too dark for weathering purposes

View attachment 106009

Before I weathered View attachment 106010

View attachment 106011

View attachment 106012

As you can see in the second photo I'm missing the hinge bracket , it pinged out of the pincers never to be seen again but if it does turn up the turret comes off so it can be fitted :smiling3:
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

superb piece of work.

sometimes..finishing a model with subtle weathering is more difficult than heavy weathered ones. you done great!!!

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Cheers Ryan I appreciate that , I think when doing subtle weathering you run the risk of over doing it and before you know it it's very weathered :smiling3:

First Name
Robert
Awesome tank Alan as can be expected from you , love the idea as an early clean tank and I like the white cross that is definitely seen in early pics of polish campaign

I don't think I have built this model ( think the closest is a wirbelwind anti aircraft flak tank but tri colours and it's not good enough to put on here ( early return to modelling and hand painted few yeRs ago

You have really made me think more tanks and armoured vehicles rather than aircraft

Just need to get my skills up more ( high praise) just kidding

Honestly I do like

Robert

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Thanks for the comments Robert that's very kind of you , this is a great kit I've built three of these all different types , the kit gives you loads of extras so you can do the early one like this up until the 43 version in Russia and at around £14 that's good value

I struggle with aircraft for some reason I just can't get them to look as good but I'll keep plugging away with the wingy things until I do an exceptional one :D

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
I do like it Alan,a shuttle weathering ,looks more like a staining to me great effect, ;)

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Cheers moni yes that was what I was going for , the polish couldn't cope with German armour they simply didn't have anything to combat modern German tanks so I just thought I'd give it a faded and dusty look :smiling3:

First Name
Aaron
I like the story about the polish horse mounted troops charging Panzers. I quite like what you've done with this 4.

Personally I would have done some dust and dirt. Nice build.

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
like the sounds of that Aaron :D

that would be a great one to make the polish horse mounted troops charging Panzers :rolleyes:

only hard thing is to find the mounted troops

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
I like the story about the polish horse mounted troops charging Panzers. I quite like what you've done with this 4.
Personally I would have done some dust and dirt. Nice build.
Thanks Aaron I appreciate that :smiling3:

The cavelry charge against tanks never really happened it was a propaganda story about how stupid the polish were here's an excert from the myth about polish cavelry charging German tanks

'Even when the tank became the dominating mobile force on the battlefield, both the Axis and Allies made extensive use of horses in a number of key roles. Germany had six horse-mounted divisions in its active ranks as late as 1945, and would employ over two million horses in the course of the war. And while the Poles never used horses against tanks, the mighty Soviet Army did. The early days of the German invasion of the USSR saw incompetent and sycophantic commanders throwing masses of horse-riding cavalry against German armor, with horrific results for both man and beast. '

N

noble

That's a very nice looking Panzer IV you have there Alan the grey paint has worked out very nice, I have often found it to be a difficult colour to get right and yours is spot on.

scott

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
That's a very nice looking Panzer IV you have there Alan the grey paint has worked out very nice, I have often found it to be a difficult colour to get right and yours is spot on.
scott
Cheers Scott I appreciate that , your right it's very difficult to weather the standard German tank grey you tend to highlight areas or give it a dusty look , for this one though I did the reverse, I gave it a dust grey then a dark brown wash and then a black oil dry brush around the detail to give it some depth , I don't think it's turned out to badly:smiling3:

First Name
Robert
\ said:
like the sounds of that Aaron :D
that would be a great one to make the polish horse mounted troops charging Panzers :rolleyes:

only hard thing is to find the mounted troops
Hi moni try tamiya 35

First Name
Robert
\ said:
Hi moni try tamiya 35
Hi Monica try tamiya 35053 German mounted soldier? Think it's reasonably priced and say 2 of these and your creative skills heh presto mounted polish against panzer?

Just a suggestion

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Nice work Alan, like the subtle weathering effect, don't like it when it's overdone, yours is spot on! ....................Jim

P

Polux

Looking very nice!

Weathering and work over a grey colour isn't easy, but you have done an excellent paintwork ;)

Cheers

A

american

I really , really like the weathering. I are a ace of this technique. Are you going to bring it to life with a diorama?

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
\ said:
Hi Monica try tamiya 35053 German mounted soldier? Think it's reasonably priced and say 2 of these and your creative skills heh presto mounted polish against panzer?
Just a suggestion
that sounds like an idea indeed ,just google polish lancers and change the uniform, :rolleyes:

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Cheers guys I appreciate the kind words :smiling3:

\ said:
I really , really like the weathering. I are a ace of this technique. Are you going to bring it to life with a diorama?
Well I did start this for another dio but I suppose I could Nick it for this one View attachment 106050

image.jpg