Tamiya 1/35 WW2 US Army Infantry

malvern_man

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Hi all,

Not sure if this is the correct section to post this in but here goes...

I'm about to start brush painting my 1/35 Tamiya WW2 US Infantry set #35013 but the instruction sheet gives no clue to what colours to use for the uniforms, back packs and accessories etc.

Can anyone please tell me what colours to use, I use Vallejo paints, or if you've got the Tamiya paint numbers I can use a conversion chart.

Regards, Chris.

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Chris they vary different shades over the years of the war the best is to research what years you want. They also had winter and summer uniforms and a lot of fading of the clothes during the end of the war. The Marines on the Pacific islands some were Camo. Hope this helps

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
You mean this ancient set?

1166598-46896-51-1440.jpg

The standing one with the M1 Garand is wearing the early war uniform, with a sand-coloured jacket, brownish olive drab trousers, tan leggings and brown leather shoes. The one shooting the M1 Thompson SMG and the hand-grenade thrower have the M1943 uniform (which only became common issue from late 1944) that had a greenish olive drab coat and trousers; what appear to be leggings on these are actually integral parts of the brown leather combat boots. The flamethrower operator looks like he has the trousers, leggings and shoes of the former but the coat of the latter, which is not an impossible combination but still somewhat odd.

Web gear would initially be sand-coloured, and later either olive drab or khaki — and often mixed, including on individual items (a pouch, for example, might be made from khaki canvas with OD edging, or the other way around). Note that the small ammo pouches on the waist belts of the Garand-gunner and the hand-grenade guy are integral to those belts, and so would all be the same colour.

The pistol holster of the flamethrower guy was brown leather. Helmets were painted olive drab, as was most of the flamethrower and the hand grenades (even though the box-top shows them as gun metal).

malvern_man

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
This might help Chris.

So might this

Thank you for the PDF link, and for the Vallejo colour set link too.

malvern_man

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
You mean this ancient set?

1166598-46896-51-1440.jpg

The standing one with the M1 Garand is wearing the early war uniform, with a sand-coloured jacket, brownish olive drab trousers, tan leggings and brown leather shoes. The one shooting the M1 Thompson SMG and the hand-grenade thrower have the M1943 uniform (which only became common issue from late 1944) that had a greenish olive drab coat and trousers; what appear to be leggings on these are actually integral parts of the brown leather combat boots. The flamethrower operator looks like he has the trousers, leggings and shoes of the former but the coat of the latter, which is not an impossible combination but still somewhat odd.

Web gear would initially be sand-coloured, and later either olive drab or khaki — and often mixed, including on individual items (a pouch, for example, might be made from khaki canvas with OD edging, or the other way around). Note that the small ammo pouches on the waist belts of the Garand-gunner and the hand-grenade guy are integral to those belts, and so would all be the same colour.

The pistol holster of the flamethrower guy was brown leather. Helmets were painted olive drab, as was most of the flamethrower and the hand grenades (even though the box-top shows them as gun metal).

Yes Jakko this ancient set :thumb2:

Thanks for the colour information.

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
The kit is an old one so there are no paints code on the box or instructions.
To me this kit isn’t worth waisting your time on. I’ve built this one and could never get it to look right to me. Very chunk figures. I’ve gone as for as removing there molded packs and adding other ones and still was disappointed good luck.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Agreed, about the only Tamiya figure sets worse than this are their US and German tank crews and German infantry. Even their 1980s figure sets are far better, and they’re all cheap as chips anyway, so unless you need figures in these poses, I don’t really see why anyone would bother with them.

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
If you want some nice Tamiya figures and if they don’t have to be 1/35 scale check out there 1/48 figures I’ve switched to them and I’m very happy with the way they look.

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Looking forward to watching your progress on these :smiling3:

malvern_man

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Hi all,

Thanks for all the replies, I've not painted any 1/35 scale figures since my teens, I got these to go with my Tamiya Sherman Jumbo, they'll be good enough to practice my painting skills on.

I've got an Asuka Sherman to build after the Tamiya one so what figures do you recommend that I get.

Regards, Chris.

Gary MacKenzie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gary
Hi all,

Thanks for all the replies, I've not painted any 1/35 scale figures since my teens, I got these to go with my Tamiya Sherman Jumbo, they'll be good enough to practice my painting skills on.

I've got an Asuka Sherman to build after the Tamiya one so what figures do you recommend that I get.

Regards, Chris.
These get good reviews
https://www.scalemodelshop.co.uk/tamiya-1-35-u-s-infantry-scout-set-p20237/ --- europeam theatre

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Oh yes these are next level entirely. Clearly made from 3D scans of actual people, it's good to see tamiya upping their game.
I well remember those dreadful first German infantry, but they were the only game in town at the time.
How times have changed

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I was about to recommend the same set as Gary just has :smiling3: Those particular figures are pretty much the state of the art as far as plastic figures are concerned.

malvern_man

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris

Oh yes these are next level entirely. Clearly made from 3D scans of actual people, it's good to see tamiya upping their game.
I well remember those dreadful first German infantry, but they were the only game in town at the time.
How times have changed

I was about to recommend the same set as Gary just has :smiling3: Those particular figures are pretty much the state of the art as far as plastic figures are concerned.

Thanks all, I've ordered a set of the figures today, plus the one Vallejo colour that I didn't have.

Plus, thank you Gary for the link to the review of the #35379 set, I've managed to download the instructions/colour reference numbers so now I know what colours to paint my very old #35013 set.

Regards, Chris.