Tamiya 1/35 WW2 US Army Infantry

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Those are all wearing the M1943 uniform, which in your set only the M1 Thompson gunner has.

Its instructions are also on Scalemates, BTW. I notice in those that Tamiya says to paint the webbing XF-60, which is Dark Yellow. That would be a good colour for webbing that was made until the middle of the war, but as I mentioned, it became olive drab and/or khaki later on. Of course, soldiers wearing M1943 uniforms could still have had older, sand-coloured webbing.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
As Jakko has stated, you could see both in use at the same time. Early and late web gear was utilized until it became no longer useable or was replaced by an updated piece of equipment to replace it and even then it was phased in. As far as color goes...sky is the limit. examples below:

Canteen covers both manufactured in 1941, M1 Carbine Magazine pouches both dated 1943.....an example on the right of using up previously died materials to deplete stock while moving to the darker OD color. and finally a completely OD pouch dated 1945.
You really can't make a wrong choice in this case.

P1012941.JPGP1012942.JPGP1012943.JPGP1012944.JPGP1012945.JPGP1012946.JPGThe belt snap on the back of the light colored
pouch was removed to facilitate slipping it onto
the Carbine stock. (this was done in the field).

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
The right one of those carbine pouches in the second photo is a good example of what I was saying about mixed colours: the body of the pouch is khaki but the flap is OD, and the edging on the flap is khaki again. In the photo with the three pouches, the bottom one is all OD, and of slightly different design with a canvas body to it instead of webbing like the other two, which means it needed a strengthening patch added to the upper part.

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
As I was digging thought the Vintage vault yesterday I came across a couple old Tamiya figure kits. US. Gun&Mortar set and the US Infantry West European Theater. I’m almost tempted to build them just to see what happens lol.