Tamiya 1/350 King George V

• Thread starter Deleted member 3568
  • Start date
First Name
Wouter
Always good to see a ship. Looking good so far. And that's quite the big ship ey :D And you even have another 1/350 one? You must live in a mansion because these things take up a lot of space LOL. My 1/350 Yamato even sleeps in our bedroom because of lack of space :D

Keep up the good work!

Cheers

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Ken,

I love ship modelling but can't seem to get started properly due to my love of other genres. I do have lots of PE ready for each of the shipsI have in my stash anticipating the switch to full time maritime modelling.
Nice to see yours progressing well. 1/350 is a huge scale for battleships. You must have lots of space to store them.

Cheers,
Richard

First Name
Wouter
Ken,

I love ship modelling but can't seem to get started properly due to my love of other genres. I do have lots of PE ready for each of the shipsI have in my stash anticipating the switch to full time maritime modelling.
Nice to see yours progressing well. 1/350 is a huge scale for battleships. You must have lots of space to store them.

Cheers,
Richard
I'm wondering Richard, since you live closer by, do you perhaps have had the chance to see the work of Won Hui Lee and Korean modeller Hyun Soo Kim in the flesh? Really love his work and especially his realistic seascapes.

Cheers

E

Evan James

This is coming together really nicely Ken, those little launch boats are fantastic, pastels have done a nice job of the deck too, I know what you mean with the PE it really looks sharp.
ev

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
I'm wondering Richard, since you live closer by, do you perhaps have had the chance to see the work of Won Hui Lee and Korean modeller Hyun Soo Kim in the flesh? Really love his work and especially his realistic seascapes.

Cheers

Wouter, at least 8 hrs by air near.:tears-of-joy: I may have come across their builds in Shizuoka but there was literally a thousand ships of all scales displayed. I was basically with the armour and figure guys like Young B Soong, Hyun Jin Kim, Man Jin Kim and Byeong Soo Kim.

Don't know if the Korean ship guys will be invited to the Penang show this June. I know the Taiwanese are coming in full force.

Cheers,
Richard

D

Deleted member 3568

Thanks all for the kind comments.
Well it's been a long time since I put a ship on a stand (usually I have them in a dio of some sort) I think the last one I put on a stand was the La Royale de France.
I'm not sure I like the supplied stand maybe I will put her in a dry dock.
2cnjx53.jpg

hsnhpc.jpg

2mg01s8.jpg

2rgclrt.jpg

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Ken
Terrific updates. The kit is really well detailed. Looks like you are having a lot of fun
Steve

D

Deleted member 3568

Hi all well this will probably be my last update before we get back from our hols we will be packing tomorrow night.
Got to say I'm really looking forward to a week in the sun doing nothing at all with a drink in my hand and my every whim catered for.
fnvjsx.jpg

6r832v.jpg

2uz4ivo.jpg

350l85c.jpg

6ofqsl.jpg

I'm thinking of drilling out all the portholes (I say thinking as there are a lot of them)

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Looking good Ken.

"......every whim catered for." - I wish my missus was like that...:flushed:

Enjoy your hols.

Ron

D

Deleted member 3568

Hi all the pe really does make a big difference, I'm still not great at it but even with my ham fisted efforts I still think it looks better (of course if I painted it it would help to hide my errors) I still like the improvements though.
The first 2 pics are how the parts would be oob that is the completed part.
snorau.jpg

2bpe88.jpg

And this is with the added pe
s2utjo.jpg

21dizr6.jpg

And here it is in place
2zzucfn.jpg

5agniw.jpg

2ik37ty.jpg

That part is only 10mm so is really small.

D

Deleted member 3568

Hi all well to say I'm disappointed with eduard pe is an understatement I've removed the plastic from the deck that the eduard instructions tell you to so how do I put the box when folded in the first two pics over the larger box.
1zelgcm.jpg

14luj2h.jpg

There are several more folded boxes so I assume I will have the same problem with them, that is problem one with the eduard set number two the instructions show 2 part 30 and there are indeed two boxes on the deck which need those parts here is what eduard supply
2113yp0.jpg

As you can see only 1 part 30 and of course as I've already mentioned earlier in the build there are no where near enough scuttles supplied.
Number 3 their numbering on the frets has no logic at all number 84 being next to number 172 171 being next to 80 takes longer to find the part than it takes to atattch it.
Number 4 the folding instructions are pretty much non existent.
I've not had a lot of experience with pe but considering eduard are up there with the priceyest. I have to say it's the worst I've used so far. I think I will stick with mk1 and pontos from now on.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Eduard are very hot or very cold with their parts and their instructions. It is a shame when a build relies on PE so much that the PE lets you down. I hope it works out for you

Steve

D

Deleted member 3568

Hi all here is an example of the eduard instructions.
The circle shows pe to be added to the top of the boxes (anything to be removed is highlighted in red) as you can see from the pencil arrow and as you can see from the fret it's not even the right shape the boxes as modelled by Tamiya (who I'm inclined to believe above eduard) are oblong eduard model them square. I'm using the eduard pe as I bought it but judging by what I've seen so far I don't trust eduard, Tamiya on the other hand are a well respected model producer with years of experience behind them. This is definitely the very last eduard pe I will buy. What annoys me most is they are supposed to be a premium pe producer as I've now discovered paying premium prices with pe dosnt mean you get premium products.
I've not had much experience with pe but the cheapest I've bought so far is the mk1 pe and it blows eduard out the water.
Someone said they do great aircraft pe (the best available, well I say to eduard stick to aircraft, I don't build aircraft so not a product I'm ever likely to buy)
fupcag.jpg

10oirfp.jpg

2h4gqvr.jpg

2w5uhj4.jpg

doucev.jpg

2cepzxg.jpg

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Ken
I feel your frustration. So many problems with the Eduard PE. I am sure that in the end you will get it sorted but it shouldn't be like this.
Jim

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Ken
Good work so keep battling....one day something like this will tempt me into making a big ship, but currently I have nowhere to keep one....
To be honest, my experiences of Eduard etch is that it isn’t all that good, even the aircraft stuff. The thicker pieces suffer badly from undercuts on the cusped edge, and I’ve yet to see a box that can be made from a cross shaped etch the way they draw them.... the corners simply don’t line up. Unfortunately most of the time it is the only game in town....and most of the time I don’t believe it is test built before sale either as missing or mis-numbered parts are not that uncommon.
Cheers
Tim

D

Deleted member 3568

Hi all well now we've got our phone and internet back I can start posting again
Here are the kit supplied pompoms
2li7am0.jpg

nq4t55.jpg

Which to be fair are pretty good
Stupidly I used the eduard ones to be fair they are amazing trouble is I have to now make 7 more of them.
raq8wg.jpg

sysb6f.jpg

15x7mub.jpg

drbitk.jpg

vpktj4.jpg