Tamiya - Challenger 1 Mk3

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Now that does look the business!

Lee W

Rum before 10 makes you a pirate not an alcoholic
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
A QEUSTION please what are them round drums on the back ?
chrisb

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
A QEUSTION please what are them round drums on the back ?
Standard 200-litre fuel drums:

Gulf War Operation Desert Storm Challenger 1 main battle tanks CREDIT MOD.jpg

Holding, as you may expect, spare fuel for the vehicle. It had to be pumped into the internal tanks by hand before use, but at least the vehicle carried extra fuel with it. The drums could even be seen in their normal, commercial colours at times.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Cracking job, spent many an hour inside the turret of these beauties carrying out inspections and repairs.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
well i thought they were fuel drums but it seems to me if they are full in a battle wont they blow up an the tank if they get hit ?

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
They would if the tank ever makes an appearance in a movie ;)

In the real world, fuel tanks don’t generally explode if people fire bullets through them. Even petrol tanks in cars don’t, unless there are enough petrol vapours in the tank (meaning the tank itself must be almost empty) and the bullets hit just right — or, of course, it’s tracers or incendiary rounds or something being fired.

On the Challenger, the drums hold diesel, and that’s rather hard to ignite anyway:

Rifle or machine-gun fire would almost certainly do little more than poke holes in the drums, and of course, leave a trail of diesel behind the tank, where it’s unlikely anything will happen to it. Anything bigger rips the drums to shreds and would spray diesel everywhere, but again: see the video above :smiling3: The only real danger would be diesel falling onto the engine deck and down onto the hot engine, I would think.

And in any case, they’re behind the hull and low down enough that they are mostly out of harm’s way, so the chances of them being hit in the first place should be pretty low.

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
That looks very nice from here! Top job……certainly looks the biznizz :cool: