Tamiya Extra Thin Cement Question

Bortig the Viking

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Hi all, have decided to do a plastic model, not my favorite, but it was a viking so I thought why not, however after cleaning up a few parts I went to glue them with this smelly glue. Unfortunately I knocked it and it spilt not only on the mat but a part of my viking, I then noticed in horror it started to melt the part and when I wiped the mat the printed bit came of on the paper towel, what is in it for that to happen and why the horrid smell, is this normal, I'm now not a happy viking, the part I think can be salvaged as it will be hidden, the mat however I think needs replacing as I'd be worried that it will contaminate my normal wood models. While I'm here what's the difference between glue and cement, not the building type.

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Hi all, have decided to do a plastic model, not my favorite, but it was a viking so I thought why not, however after cleaning up a few parts I went to glue them with this smelly glue. Unfortunately I knocked it and it spilt not only on the mat but a part of my viking, I then noticed in horror it started to melt the part and when I wiped the mat the printed bit came of on the paper towel, what is in it for that to happen and why the horrid smell, is this normal, I'm now not a happy viking, the part I think can be salvaged as it will be hidden, the mat however I think needs replacing as I'd be worried that it will contaminate my normal wood models. While I'm here what's the difference between glue and cement, not the building type.

Think Jakko found out (from his post in 'Latest Acquisitions) -

In an earlier discussion on this forum not too long ago, we were talking about the ingredients of Tamiya cement. Last week, because my bottle of it is running low, I did a bit more digging and found a material safety data sheet claiming it to be 50% butyl acetate and 50% acetone. So, I thought, what do those cost and where can I buy them? That turned out to have easy answers too, and I therefore decided to purchase a 100 ml bottle of each, plus a 10 ml pipette to more easily measure them :smiling3: Each of the bottles was under €3, so if this works as intended, I spent less than €6 for 200 ml while a bottle of Tamiya extra thin cement is around €7 for 40 ml. I’ll probably report my findings once I’ve mixed up a little batch and tested it.

Since I was at a web store selling solvents, I also added a litre bottle of isopropanol, for thinning acrylic paints for airbrushing, as a replacement for the windscreen wiper fluid I’ve been using for the last several years.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Tamiya extra thin is a solvent. It melts the parts together by dissolving the surface of both and then evaporating to leave them welded together. The spill will evaporate from the mat and then cause no further issues. Likewise the part will dry hard when the solvent evaporates and can then be repaired if necessary.

D

Deleted member 5496

Best thing Mark is not to knock over Tamiya Extra Thin & all the other solvents :fearful: They are not glues they soften plastic to a point where, as Tim pointed out, weld together. They also, as you have found out, make a huge mess & stink :confounded: when knocked over. In large pools they are horrible. :flushed:

Suspect that a great number of us have knocked over Tamiya, Mr Cement S.

However there is a simple solution. I am your saviour Mark. :tongue-out3: I will let you into the secret. It is called ---- no no not yet.

Stick a piece of the harder part to your work top. I have 3 positions.

Stick a piece of the softer part to all the base of bottles of Tamiya etc including bottles of Mr Surfacer.

Great advantage is you can with one hand open & close bottle tops. Easily attached equally easily removed. It is the wonder of the century. :hungry:

It is called VELCRO specially designed just for this application. :smiling::smiling2::smiling3:

Laurie

Last edited by a moderator:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Best thing Mark is not to knock over Tamiya Extra Thin & all the other solvents :fearful: They are not glues they soften plastic to a point where, as Tim pointed out, weld together. They also, as you have found out, make a huge mess & stink :confounded: when knocked over. In large pools they are horrible. :flushed:

Suspect that a great number of us have knocked over Tamiya, Mr Cement S.

However there is a simple solution. I am your saviour Mark. :tongue-out3: I will let you into the secret. It is called ---- no no not yet.

Stick a piece of the harder part to your work top. I have 3 positions.

Stick a piece of the softer part to all the base of bottles of Tamiya etc including bottles of Mr Surfacer.

Great advantage is you can with one hand open & close bottle tops. Easily attached equally easily removed. It is the wonder of the century. :hungry:

It is called VELCRO specially designed just for this application. :smiling::smiling2::smiling3:

Laurie
Brilliant Laurie...I use that already to secure all mats for cats to their favorite surfaces. Now my bottles will be done the same way.

Cheers,
Richard

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Unfortunately I knocked it and it spilt not only on the mat but a part of my viking, I then noticed in horror it started to melt the part
You’ve just taken one more step to being a proper modeller ;) Everybody spills liquid cement at some point — you can try to minimise the chance by using squat, square bottles and stands for them (or velcro, or Blue Tac, or anything else that helps keep the bottle upright) but you will at some point. And almost certainly more than once.

I'd be worried that it will contaminate my normal wood models.
You mean a cutting mat? That won’t really absorb the cement, but it may be softened by it and almost certainly, cleaning up the spilt cement will wipe off any markings printed on the mat. The mat itself should still be usable, though, and since you’ve spilled a solvent, once that evaporates it shouldn’t affect anything anymore. You may want to put the mat outside or in a shed or someplace to get rid of all the solvent, though, rather than inside your house.

While I'm here what's the difference between glue and cement
It’s mostly semantics, I think.

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
The difference between glues and cement in the modelling area is largely semantics.
The difference comes from those like Tamiya S, revel contacta, that work as solvents, dissolve The surfaces which are welded together as the solvent evaporates. And those like CA and PVA were molecules in the glue provide the bond between the surfaces.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Brilliant Laurie...I use that already to secure all mats for cats to their favorite surfaces. Now my bottles will be done the same way.

Cheers,
Richard
When I read that quickly I read it as secured the cats to the mat !

TAXI !

I now keep my glue in a coffee lid 2020_3.jpg

For water for brushes I've glued a hair spray lid into and another larger lid, used UHU.

2020_4.jpg

Anyone considered using this .1615546504409.png

According to the contents it also contains acetone. Plumbers that I have worked with used it for waste pipes

Everbuild P16 Plumbers PVC Pipe Cement Hazardous components Chemical name CAS-No. EC-No. acetone / butanone / ethyl acetate.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I’ve used PVC pipe cement.....for pipes....it’s very aggressive and once it grabs you can’t realigned the joints.....when I found that out I went back to compression joints....much friendlier!
By the way, cement reacts chemically with both material surfaces to create the bond and glue forms a bond by interference with the surfaces, without changing the materials being joined. Solder is therefore a glue, but plastic adhesive is a cement.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I’ve used PVC pipe cement.....for pipes....it’s very aggressive and once it grabs you can’t realigned the joints.....when I found that out I went back to compression joints....much friendlier!
By the way, cement reacts chemically with both material surfaces to create the bond and glue forms a bond by interference with the surfaces, without changing the materials being joined. Solder is therefore a glue, but plastic adhesive is a cement.
That definition would make solder a glue, welding would be a cement.
Pete

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
So cement (house building stuff) is a glue?? :tongue-out3: :thinking:
Archetype beat me to it, doh!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Love it LOL....
by the way, cement holds bricks apart.....if it was a glue it would hold them together :tongue-out3:
Getting technical, cement is a constituent part of mortar and concrete.....and it reacts chemically to do its job. It’s therefor a glue, so there:tongue-out3::tongue-out3::tongue-out3:

Bortig the Viking

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Love it LOL....
by the way, cement holds bricks apart.....if it was a glue it would hold them together :tongue-out3:
Getting technical, cement is a constituent part of mortar and concrete.....and it reacts chemically to do its job. It’s therefor a glue, so there:tongue-out3::tongue-out3::tongue-out3:
Do you want a job as a builder, got a little wall needs building.:tongue-out3:

• Haha
Reactions: JR