Tamiya German Hanomag Sdkfz 251/1

First Name
Matt
hi all, well here's my first post on a project I'm working on. The German Hanomag Sdkfz 251/1. Never done a vehicle before and only done 1 set of figures.

My question to you all is...if paint the vehicle in the desert Dark Yellow (Tamiya xf-60), what colour would I paint the figures uniforms and helmets? It doesn't really say in the box

Thanks for any help you can give
Matt
IMG_1695.jpg

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Matt .
I'm no expert on uniforms , but someone like Steve Jones who is the man for the Desert Colours will be along to offer his advice soon .
Good luck .
John

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Matt,

It depends on where you want to set the scene...in North Africa or Western Europe or Eastern Europe. The figures on the box top look like they're dressed for Europe so basically it would be Greman Field Grey. It has a greyish green tone. The webbing and boots are mainly black and as being leather would have some brown showing through for highlights. Helmets will be dark grey. I mix a bit of dark green and dry brush lighter shades of the mix and highlight the edge of the rim with steel. Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Richard

Reactions: JR
First Name
Matt
thanks guys, maybe it will be easier to set this one in Europe, thanks for your colour suggestions Richard.

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
Hi Matt.
Of course this 251 doesn't have to be painted desert brown/dunkelgelb.Pre-1943 this would be dark grey in Europe. The figures supplied look like they would suit this period rather than late war.
Jon.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
My question to you all is...if paint the vehicle in the desert Dark Yellow (Tamiya xf-60)
Let’s clear up a misconception first: dark yellow on German vehicles isn’t a desert paint. It's for use in Europe, usually with a green and/or brown camouflage pattern applied over it. The basic German desert colour until 1942 was green-brown (a medium brown with a green hue), not a sand colour, with patches of khaki grey over it that were supposed to cover about 1/3 the surface area, IIRC; from 1942 on vehicles in North Africa were yellow-brown (darker than dark yellow) with patches in sand grey.

what colour would I paint the figures uniforms and helmets? It doesn't really say in the box
Field grey (which is more green than grey), basically.

If you paint the vehicle panzer grey, you could paint some or all of the trousers slate grey (a medium grey). Dark yellow for vehicles came in in early 1943, and slate grey trousers had been pretty much phased out by then.