Tamiya mark fit?

T

T. van Vuuren

Has anyone used Tamiya's "Mark fit" solution on decals before? WHat was the result like?

We can't get Micro set/sol here but I found this stuff from tamiya that the shop says is the samr as set/sol.

I have humbrol's decal fix, but this doesn't seem the soften the decals realy.

Theuns

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Sorry theuns, never used it , but i have got some gunze sangyo Mr Mark softer ,which sounds about the same and is very good at softening the decal and getting it to conform to awkward shapes. Ive used the humbrol decalfix before and like yourself found it to be pretty useless, it seems just like soapy water!!cheers tony

B

Bunkerbarge

If you decide to go for it let us know, I've not tried it either!

S

sprayman

I find it works very well, more often than not it needs two coats, but works a treat, let this stuff dry 100%, before a second coat or it will peel your decal off.

T

T. van Vuuren

When you do the 2nd coat, does it also wrinkle the decal like with SET/SOL?

Does it not discolour the underlying paint whan alpied only to the decal area?

Theuns

S

sprayman

I wait 24 hrs between coats, just to be sure, there is a slight wrinkle but it all levels out and looks fine when dry, I dont dab the decal area,before applying the decals, so cant comment on your question on paint discolouring.,but never had any problems with the stuff.

T

T. van Vuuren

I tried it on a scrap model/decals. I can't see it realy softining the decals much, but then I don't realy know what to look for anyway.

SO if i understand correctly you do noy aply the decal with the tamiya stuff? you only aply the tamiya after the decal has completely dried? What do you use to aply the decal? Decal fix????

Thanx

Theuns

S

sprayman

Dab it on with a brush, I put about a good drop on a decal, then brush dab for a few seconds,I dont use decal fix, always used a PVA mixed with a drop of water, this pulls the decal tight as it dries, then I leave overnight and then use the decal softner.......but sometimes the PVA mix can do a fantastic job of pulling it in, and a decal softner is not always needed.

T

T. van Vuuren

I have heard of the PVA trick.It is the white wood glue you refere to?

I have attached canopies with it as it dries clear. Will give it a go on the decals.

DO you mix it into a watery mix to use as a setting solution?

Theuns

S

sprayman

Thats it, one drop of PVA and one drop of water, then apply with a nice fine brush.

T

T. van Vuuren

I tried it last night and it does seem to hold the decals a bit better than just normal decal aplication.

This was on an old matt painted model though, maybe it will be even better on a glossed one.

I have a few planes that will need decaling soon, so I will give this a go.

Thanx

Theuns