tamiya mini cooper

P

Phoenix

i have a tamiya mini cooper 1:12 i got a short while ago

and im gonna start to build it but wonwinglow i think it was said you need to clean the part to get rid of the release agent

so my first question(many more to come no doubt)

what do i use to clean the parts ?

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
Warm water, a bit of thinners and a little bleach, leave to soak.

I might be wrong on this but I asked the same question :smiling3:

P

Phoenix

im not to happy about using white spirit/thinners as the last time i got it on a model (white spirit) it coroded the plastic

N

new to trains

the other thing to use which is a mild degreasant is lighter fuel, mix a little bit of lighter fuel in with hot water and then soak.......use the lighter fuel as it removes any grease or release agents( the liquid not gas !) and then leave to dry........

R

rjwood_uk

i just use washing up liquid and a tiny bit of bleach in hot water. never failed me yet! they always say to let it air dry but i tend to stick mine on a clean towel in the airing cupboard....never done any harm to any models so.....

oh yea, i dont know if you have read my enzo thread but here is a tip for tamiya kits....

a little tip....if a Tamiya kit asks you to paint a piece that is already black with Semi-Gloss Black (x-18) dont bother, it dries the exact colour and texture as the plastic so its a waste of time and paint. if there are other bits to paint other colours, do them and if you mess up a bit, just touch up with the x-18....if you dont believe me, try it on a bit of spu and see for yourself!

Last edited:
P

Phoenix

hmmm

i knew that lighter fluid takes of the grease and stuff but being a non smoker and having no lighters i dont have any

i will maybe try a bit of bleach or detergant and see how it comes out

also how long do i leave it to soak ?

B

Bunkerbarge

Over all the years I have been doing this I have used no more than warm water with a bit of fairy in it. Little corners, nooks and crannies etc, get a bit of fairy on a toothbrush.

Rinse with warm water and dry. Any other chemical has a potential for affecting the plastic and I really don't think it is necessary.

S

squiffythewombat

Over all the years I have been doing this I have used no more than warm water with a bit of fairy in it. Little corners, nooks and crannies etc, get a bit of fairy on a toothbrush.Rinse with warm water and dry. Any other chemical has a potential for affecting the plastic and I really don't think it is necessary.
I 100% agree, this method is what i use and has never let me down!

Ive actually written a tutorial on "washing" ......

http://www.semodels.com/washing.php < read it here

S

squiffythewombat

Thats prolly because theres only about 5 uploaded at the moment, lol!

N

Nigel.D

Washing up liuid and warm water thats it dont bother with anything else unless your using resin or white metal

P

Phoenix

Washing up liuid and warm water thats it dont bother with anything else unless your using resin or white metal
ok i will clean them tomorrow after college :smile11:

P

Phoenix

started building it :D

go the engine glued together will paint it tomorrow after college

pics will come tomorrow also

P

Phoenix

my humbrol red paint seems to be taking forever to dry

does anyone have any idea why

S

squiffythewombat

did you give the pot a REALLY good mix before applying it? Is it gloss?

Also - quick tip if its still drying, place a mixing bowl over the model or dust will settle on it, and then dry into the paint!

S

squiffythewombat

if it was stirred, not thinned and not old....then er...*coff*....over to barry....

R

rjwood_uk

lol squif, stick tamiya paints, bout 20mins to dry, i know their synthetics put they really do look the part....

i have been un-able to continue with my enzo as a lack of paint :S but its arrived today so i will continue and get the pics up asap.

P

Phoenix

if it was stirred' date=' not thinned and not old....then er...*coff*....over to barry....[/quote']no it wasnt old butnont brand new had it open once before

and tamiya paints a dont have

R

rjwood_uk

i could depened on the temperature/humity of your room...a difference of 1-2 degrees can make hours of difference in paint drying