Tamiya paint/painting instructions

Egghead

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Hi everyone. Two questions: Do I need to thin my acrylic Tamiya paints, or just use them straight from the tin? Also, when the Tamiya model instructions say something like: "XF-7:5 + XF-9:1", what does it mean? I appreciate "XF-7" and "XF-9" refer to the colours, but what does the :5 and :1 refer to? Does it mean I need to mix XF-7 and XF-9 in the ratio of 5:1? Thank you.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
That’s righr but if I was you I would just buy a different brand of paint with the right colours.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Trick I learnt was too fill the bottle to the neck when new with suitable thinner.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Do I need to thin my acrylic Tamiya paints
For brush-painting? No.

For spraying? Yes. How much to do that by is not all that easy to say, though — see here for some of my recommendations, but do experiment on your own to see what works for you :smiling3:

Also, when the Tamiya model instructions say something like: "XF-7:5 + XF-9:1", what does it mean? I appreciate "XF-7" and "XF-9" refer to the colours, but what does the :5 and :1 refer to? Does it mean I need to mix XF-7 and XF-9 in the ratio of 5:1?
It does mean exactly that: five parts XF-7 plus one part XF-9. As Barry says, though, you may be better off buying a different paint that is already that colour from the bottle.

Last edited:

Egghead

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
That’s righr but if I was you I would just buy a different brand of paint with the right colours.
Thanks Barry - are Tamiya not highly rated as paints, then? And how would I know the correct colour to buy if Tamiya is recommending I mix two? Is there somewhere I can find the corresponding paints in another brand for any colour Tamiya recommend?

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks Barry - are Tamiya not highly rated as paints, then? And how would I know the correct colour to buy if Tamiya is recommending I mix two? Is there somewhere I can find the corresponding paints in another brand for any colour Tamiya recommend?
They are highly regarded for airbrush use, not so much for brush painting, but usable.

If colour accuracy is important to you then you are much better off ignoring the instructions and researching what actual colour was used on the real thing. From there you should be able to find a model paint.

Remember Tamiya will only recommend a colour within their range, or a mixture of them. Neither may actually be accurate, just the nearest they can get with their own paint.

Personally, near enough is usually good enough for me, but each to his own :smiling3:

Egghead

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
They are highly regarded for airbrush use, not so much for brush painting, but usable.

If colour accuracy is important to you then you are much better off ignoring the instructions and researching what actual colour was used on the real thing. From there you should be able to find a model paint.

Remember Tamiya will only recommend a colour within their range, or a mixture of them. Neither may actually be accurate, just the nearest they can get with their own paint.

Personally, near enough is usually good enough for me, but each to his own :smiling3:
Thanks Andy.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
I like mixing paints when I airbrush to get tonal shades. It basically gives a more interesting finish and creates a less flat look if you know where to apply them. It's a good practice too so your eyes can roughly gauge colour tones without always refering to colour charts. Near enough as Andy says is good enough for me too.

Cheers,
Wabble

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
are Tamiya not highly rated as paints, then?
It’s like Andy said: they are well-regarded, but they only refer you to their own range of paints.

And how would I know the correct colour to buy if Tamiya is recommending I mix two?
Is this a question about the Tamiya 1:48 Mosquito you mentioned in another message? Ah, yes, probably, because it includes the mix you used as an example:

Tamiya Mosquito landing gear.jpeg

These kinds of interior bits are often tricky to research, and my knowledge on the subject is nowhere near good enough to say what colour this had on the real thing. However, just looking at the colour numbers: XF-7 is matt red and XF-9 is hull red — which is a kind of burgundy colour, which in turn is a mix of red with a bit of blue in it. Given they want you to mix it 5:1, that means the intended colour is a slightly darker red than “standard” red. If you have red and blue paints, you can probably get a good colour for the tanks by putting a few brushfuls of red onto a palette and adding a dash of blue, then mixing the two with the brush.

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
As the guys have already given you the answers you requested I won’t add much, other than to say Tamiya are not the best paints to brush with but I’ve seen some get a perfectly reasonable result with them.

Personally I use Tamiya for airbrush and Vallejo or Mig Ammo for brush work.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
The tanks were, I am sure, a red oxide. So look for a red oxide paint from another company.

I would suggest base research on-line to establish the right colours. There is a lot of information available. Most of the time you can pretty much work out the colours fairly easily.