Tamiya paint

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Afternoon

Any idea if Tamiya paint is any good after 5 yrs plus??

When i bought KGV i must have bought the Tamiya paint to go with it and then just stored in the garage. Just bought it into the house where its a bit warmer!

Would a go old stir plus thinner rescue it????

Thanks Bob

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Personally I'd consider setting it on fire !

Joking apart Bob, what's it look like inside the jar, solid, just thick. Most likely a good shake and a stir, before you think about adding thinners.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Personally I'd consider setting it on fire !

Joking apart Bob, what's it look like inside the jar, solid, just thick. Most likely a good shake and a stir, before you think about adding ant thinners.
Thanks John

Seems a waste, but do not want to bung up the new airbrush !

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Mine are well over 5 years old and if they start going a little thick then i just add a little bit of X-20 to thin them out again.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Well there you have it Bob from a user, out with the X-20 then.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Thanks Al, need to get out the old stiring machine and x 20, got that!

Thanks both

Reactions: JR

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I’ve got some at ten years or more that are still useable. Just thin them to taste for spraying.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I bought some second-hand about 5 years ago, and they were already several years old. It can be a struggle to get the top off, so sometimes I have to stand them upside-down and run some IPA around the neck.
Pete

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
If the bottles were properly closed, it should still be OK to use. If you open a bottle and it’s gone thick and gloopy, you can almost certainly revive the paint by mixing in Tamiya X-20A thinner, or its cheaper equivalents, isopropanol or windscreen wiper fluid. Don’t chuck a lot of it into the paint all at once but add a little bit, stir it into the paint with an ice lolly stick or similar, and repeat if the paint still seems too thick.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
If the bottles were properly closed, it should still be OK to use. If you open a bottle and it’s gone thick and gloopy, you can almost certainly revive the paint by mixing in Tamiya X-20A thinner, or its cheaper equivalents, isopropanol or windscreen wiper fluid. Don’t chuck a lot of it into the paint all at once but add a little bit, stir it into the paint with an ice lolly stick or similar, and repeat if the paint still seems too thick.
Thanks Jakko

Shame to waste it! I have a trumpeter paint stirer, so that will help

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Ive got loads of Tamiya paints bob that are up to fifteen years old , theyre all still perfectly fine. The only thing that happens is the pigment settles out from the carrier so they just need a good stir . None of mine have ever gone thick so unless the lids havent been tight then you should be ok . I love Tamiya paints for spraying , i used to use them a lot but the lack of proper colours and limited range means i started to use vallejo and more recently Hataka , but i miss the ease of application of Tamiya.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
unless the lids havent been tight then you should be ok .
My experience with Tamiya paint is that it’s easy to get that to happen, because paint will often build up on the rim of the glass bottle, and eventually form a thick enough layer there that the bottle won’t close anymore. You (and I) should really clean the top of the bottle every time before closing it.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
My experience with Tamiya paint is that it’s easy to get that to happen, because paint will often build up on the rim of the glass bottle, and eventually form a thick enough layer there that the bottle won’t close anymore. You (and I) should really clean the top of the bottle every time before closing it.
I always do jakko , thats why i found it strange to hear pepple talking about it thickening up , ive never had it happen . The other thing about wiping the top of the jar is you dont get the dried flaky bits falling in to the paint when you unscrew the lid :tired: ( now that HAS happened to me:smiling5:)

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I never have in 30+ years of using Tamiya paint, but it’s one of those things I think I really should start doing …

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Think i have saved about 70%, one jar the paint had vanished lol

Gave all the jars a very long stir and the paint seems ok, so will stir again then add thinner. Ordered from John new ones for the knackered ones!