Tamiya paints for RAF Roundels and my next kit is ...

M

mattski

Hi Everyone,

I'm thinking of using Miracle Masks on my Spitfire (although could go with decals if I'm chicken), but if I do decide to try the masks, has anyone got any suggestions re: suitable Tamiya paints for the blue, red and yellow of the roundels?

My next kit is going to be a Tamiya 1:48 F-16 Aggressor :smiling:

ta,

Matt

S

snapper41

Hi Matt;

I had a similar problem. I've decided to use montex masks on my 1/48 Lanc, and spent hours looking through various websites for the right colours. I've ended up getting Vallejo Flat Red and Oxford Blue, but I think they might need a slight bit of darkening. Fo the yellow, I'm using Tamiya Flat Yellow.

Andy

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
The only paint I've found that is a good match out of the tin is the colourcote enamel from White Ensign Models. I think you'll probably have to mix something up. Andy's suggestions seem a good starting point,you'll need to darken the blue (with some black) and the red (maybe a bit of brown?)

Cheers

Steve

G

Gomer Pyle

For the markings on my Brewster, I used XF3 for the yellow (Obviously). For the blue I used XF8 mixed with very little XF3-XF7-XF1 (can't tell you the exact balance, it was a little back and forth with all colors till I hit it right), the red was XF7 mixed with just a little XF8-XF1 and the white was XF2 with a hint of XF3.

You can see the results here: http://www.scale-models.co.uk/planes/10295-restoration-1-72-childhood-brewster.html

/Daniel

S

snapper41

Steve;

I've tried darkening as you suggest (black in the blue, red-brown in the red), and reckon I can get a pretty good match that way.

Matt;

Forgot to mention I'm also using Vallejo Off-White.

Andy

M

mattski

thanks guys... still torn between the decals, the Spit's looking great and I'm a bit scared to wreck it !

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hi Matt all the decals on my Spitfire were very good. The only problem I had was with the roundels on the wing undersides. This is not a problem exclusive to Tamiya! Unfortunately the Spitfire has lumps and bumps just where those roundels go. You'll see Tamiya's solution is a three part decal to go over the bulges. It didn't work brilliantly for me but at least they tried.

Cheers

Steve

S

snapper41

And exactly the same for me as Steve - the lower roundels didn't work brilliantly. My idea with the Lanc is that, if I screw up painting them on, I can always put decals over the top!!

Andy

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I would go for either prussian blue or maybe even the Dark prussian blue from Vallejo. As for the Red, The flat red is very red! Try the dark red on add a few drops of a redish brown.

Ian M

PS I have the White ensign paints and the Dark prussian blue is almost spot on. The Red is a bit harder to hit. I'll have a look when I get home this evening.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Ian I've got a tinlet of the White Ensign RAF/RN Roundel Red which looks good to me. I haven't got their Roundel Blue but I understand it's a good match. I made a roundel blue from Vallejo paints by mixing Royal Blue and Black by eye.

Cheers

Steve

S

sprayman

Not having any real knowledge of Spitfires, but looking at the roundel colours, maybe try the following:

Tamiya mix

Dull Red XF7(5) + XF3(3) + XF52(1)

Blue XF-17(1)+X-3(1)

M

mattski

Thanks folks, in the end I used:-

Flat Yellow as-is

Flat White as-is

Flat Red + some Red Brown

Flat Blue + Field Blue + Black

I think it worked quite well :smiling: