Tamiya TS sprays.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Anyone know if the paints once decanted can be mixed. Wondering if I can mix my pale blue pearl with gloss clear and make a cheap and hopefully not to nasty Candy Pearl.
I also read that tamiya acrylics can be thinned with Mr self leveling thinner,, any truth in that

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Same as Dave, a definite yes on the acrylics & MLT but not certain on the other.

Rumour has it that their LP lacquer range is just a bottled version of the TS / AS sprays, which can certainly be mixed with a clear to reduce opacity, so I'd say feasible, but don't quote me.

Whether it gives you the desired effect is a different matter.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Cheers.
I can say that MLT works well in Decanted TS sprays as well.
I will try it in their Acrylics tomorrow.
Just for Shots and Giggles I will try mixing clear and some random colour (metallic are all i have apart from the clear colours but that kind a' defeats the object of the exercise). lol

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Anyone know if the paints once decanted can be mixed. Wondering if I can mix my pale blue pearl with gloss clear and make a cheap and hopefully not to nasty Candy Pearl.
I also read that tamiya acrylics can be thinned with Mr self leveling thinner,, any truth in that
The TS sprays can be decanted and diluted with MLT, I’ve done it with excellent results. I’ve never mixed them, but can’t see why that would be an issue. They all have the same solvent and acrylic resin so should be compatible. I would be quite surprised if blue pearl isn’t just clear with a pigment really. Not sure how you will get candy pearl from adding clear to pale blue pearl though. I think you’ll just get a more dilute pale blue pearl?

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Not sure how you will get candy pearl from adding clear to pale blue pearl though. I think you’ll just get a more dilute pale blue pearl?
That is basically what a candy is a translucent paint but normally coloured with a liquid dye rather than a solid pigment like a paint. A clear base will not thin the paint but will dilute it making it translucent. A coloured varnish if you will.