Tamiya's 1/32 SpitfireIX

K

Kressy13

Great work steve. This is really looking awesome. Great attention to detail and love the merlin. Keep up the good work.

Cheers

Kresten

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
That is looking very nice indeed! So all finished for the weekend then! Then what are you going to do with all that time? Has the mark VIII landed over there yet? ;)

Nice one Steve!

Ian M

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I don't know about all finished this week-end! I've "retro sprayed" the walkway lines that I forgot and have started the decals. I've got them all on the sides which I shall leave a while,then on to the wings.

Couple of progress pics.

I've heard complaints about the kit (Tamiya) decals but they seem fine to me. I haven't applied any microsol yet and I'll do a test on an unwanted decal before I splash it on the model but they've gone on nicely with a splosh of microset.....so far.

Cheers

Steve

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looking great! I have used botj mico set and sol on Tamiya decals with out any problems. And I tend to use lots of sol. OK they give you a nasty fright by going a bit wrinkly but dry down well with the constant attentions of a clean sable brush. DONT take my word for it. As you say yourself, try it on one you will not use. (preferably from the same sheet if it is possible).

I find the worst are the tail flashes. Getting them to go round the front of the tail fin!

Ian M

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
I find the worst are the tail flashes. Getting them to go round the front of the tail fin! Ian M
I know what you mean. Sometimes once they have dried I shave off the decal hanging over the leading edge of the fin and touch up with paint.

These decals have been fine. One of the underwing roundels has broken due to me overworking it around the various bulges/cartridge ejection chute so that will need a bit of touching up too. It's not the first time that's happened to me on a Spitfire!

Cheers

Steve

F

Fenlander

It is looking superb Steve, like the way it is clamped in a 'huge' metalworking vice lol

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
It is looking superb Steve, like the way it is clamped in a 'huge' metalworking vice lol
Thanks Graham. I'd like to say that the vice is padded with some foam and that the wing is protected with some of that soft loo paper so beloved of labrador puppies.

On a slightly more serious note,I used to try and apply the decals to the sides whilst holding the model between my legs with disastrous consequences on a couple of occasions. I find this works well as long as I'm are careful.

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Touched up the bust decal with paint. I like to use bits of a spare decal but none of my "spare" roundels match. I'll smooth it down and maybe give it a touch of a slightly bluer mix,a coat of varnish or two and it should be fine. The red is easy!

Cheers

Steve

F

Fenlander

It is a shame, and bloody annoying, when decals get damaged like this. Not a lot you can do once they are in place though. I am sure you will pull off a great rescue Steve

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I blame it on very bad planing by the MoD. !!

I'm upto Spitfire nr six (I think) and its always the underwing roundels that give the most grief! I started to go at them with the micro sol from the off. Gentle dabbing with a soft haired stiff brush (short flat one you know), leave it and see how its going. Then repeat as many times as needed!

I'm sure as Graham said, you will rescue it with style!

On a positive note, its on the under wing so you wont be glaring at it all the time fumming!!!

Ian M

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
It happens all the time with the Spitfire underwings! I think I was a bit impatient and went at it a bit hard a bit too soon. Tamiya make this a three part decal. The roundel with a piece missing to go over the bulge. A piece to fill that in (over the bulge....just silly). Finally the red centre dot which is always going to get a hole in it like mine though that's not really a problem. If I did another one of these I would definitely spray this marking on.

And Ian you are dead right,I am glad it's on the bottom. It won't be getting any more unflattering close ups!

The rest look fine after a first application of microsol. I'll give them another splosh over night and hopefully I can proceed with a coat of Klear to seal everything in in the morning.

Cheers

Steve

F

Fenlander

I have just been struggling for an hour to get three decals on the Shelby Cobra..... never again lol. Straight decals just do not want to go over three dimensional curved car bodies.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I feel your pain Graham. In a spirit os what our glorious leaders would call" total transparency" here is a close up of my fixed broken decal. You'll have to take my word for it that to the naked eye it looks okay. I'm hoping a coat of Klear will help too.

The very,very sharp eyed will notice that the roundel is about 2 or 3mm aft of its proper position! This is the only way I could get the daft Tamiya cut out to fit over the bulge.

I can live with this,and no,I haven't counted any rivets either lol.

Cheers

Steve

G

Gomer Pyle

Nice decaling, Steve! The script looks really printed on, I couldn't manage to get such a smooth look in spite of using lots of MicroSol. The SPAD I'm working on is a Revell kit and also has the roundels with the red dot, as separate decal. I'm wondering if there is a trick, to getting them dead-centre? It was a real pain trying to get them right, just using plain sight.

/Daniel

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hi Daniel, You're making a nice job of that Spad. I just go by eye with the centre red dots but you are correct,it is a pain in the behind! I find the trick is knowing when to stop pushing the damned thing around and just go with it.

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
After a very pleasant visit to the National Memorial Aboretum this morning I've got a bit more done. There's been much discussion of washes on here recently. Here's the Spitfire (underside as it shows better) covered in a Pro-Modeller wash.

And a short time later,cleaned off just accenting various access panels e.t.c. I don't want a patch work quilt effect. This was a recently re-painted Wing Commander's personal airplane that,as one of our sharp eyed colleagues noticed in the reference picture I posted,had been washed down for the photo shoot. I will give the wheel wells an oil wash which I seem to have missed.

I'm finally going to have to mask and spray the canopy/hood pieces.

Cheers

Steve

F

Fenlander

We have been out for the day to Bourton on the Water today. One of the highlights for me (I know, I am sad) is the 'model village'. Within the model village is a little museum of model making. Really, it is small dolls house type scenes in a dark room and internally lit. As I used to really enjoy making dolls houses and furniture, these little vignettes really appeal to me. This one I was really taken with, Steve's (Stona) living room with last years Christmas decorations still up as he concentrates on his 1:32 Spitfire in front of the hearth. Note, he has a castle to lol

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Graham,

Last time I saw you looking at a scene like this, Mrs Claus was sprawled all over the hearth rug! Is this a fond reminder of that day? lol

Gern

M

mattski

that looks fantastic, great work ! I'm progressing with mine but am wondering what next now...

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've just checked Matt's build and he's got his well along so I'd better get my finger out. I've done just about all the little bits and bobs (gun sight,undercarriage,etc) so final assembly shouldn't take too long.

I've finally fixed the Merlin in.

I wasn't going to glue it but discretion got the better part of valour and it is tacked in with a dab of Gator's Grip. I could get it out if I wanted to,EXCEPT! I don't know if I missed a magnet or one of the little metal plates but the lower cowling will not stay on properly,it droops and this leaves a gap between it and the side cowling. I've solved this by glueing it to the panel with the airscoop which is also removable.

I could theoretically still remove this whole assembly but I doubt I will ever do that. It's no big deal,the top and sides will come off and I was always going to display the model buttoned up with its reference photograph anyway.

Cheers

Steve