Tanky question.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Tank turrets! Real tanks that is! Are they similar to ships main gun mounts, in that I mean, are they fixed in the hull or like ships turrets can they slide/drop out if specific angles or indeed if inverted.
You often see videos of tank turrets being blown out of the hull by detonations. Have they had securing tethers or bolts sheared or as above, are they free to simply fly out?

I hope that makes sense!!

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Tank turrets tend to only come off for two reasons: fitters removing them, and ammunition explosions.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Doug,
No tank turrets are bolted to a bearing race and are connected. We used to get the CVR(T) Scimmitar crews to travers right 5 times saying they had unscrewed the turret.
We used to fit a large key, (Blue Peter style), to a flare box which sat centre console just aft of the two front seats. (Talking Wasps here).
When flying passengers on what we called 'Jollies', general flights for the ships crew. The pilot used to slowly lower the helicopter, I used to then ask the passengers in the rear, (only carried 3 max), if they wouldn't mind winding the key as the elastic band needed winding up!!!!
You'd be surprised how many people actually did! Mind you - if they didn't, the pilot would almost go into a full autorotation until someone did!!
The things ya do for a giggle!!!! :smiling2: :smiling2: