The Art Of The Storyboard Diorama

J

JohnReid

The Camel is situated at the back right hand corner of the diorama.I placed it here for close viewer inspection.The guns of course are the big attraction here.They are meant to look like they are fake and made from tin or wood and are brightly painted.This is for a lot of viewers the first time that they would have seen a WW1 aircraft fuselage up close.The radial engine is especially interesting for those who have never seen one before.I have left the fuselage open but of course for transport it probably would have been covered.(that old artistic license again)The back half has already been battened down and a large tarp should take care of the rest.The flying circus sign is a little bit of free advertising.

WW1 fighter airplanes were also extensively used for study purposes by universities teaching aeronautics.

F

Fenlander

This is really stunning work John, the fuselage of the WWI aircraft is so realistic as for the truck, I just cannot think of words to do it justice.

J

JohnReid

The old Ford CNR truck is awaiting the driver who has stopped outside the door of the rest room, in anticipation of a long road trip to the rail yards.It is in not the unusual postilion of having its engine looked at for water or oil leaks before the long journey.The wing crates have yet to be loaded on and secured.I sure hope there is enough room in the flatbed for them otherwise they will have to be secured to the airplane fuselages side.

J

JohnReid

This is the view through the hangars backdoor.I left the lights on for a better look inside.On the left is the WC presently occupied by the driver,on the right is a coal storage area for the stove located in the carpenter's shop.Straight ahead is the door to the hangar itself which is now in darkness.The carpenter's shop is located to the left just beyond this door.

J

JohnReid

Back outside again and continuing along the back wall an old air show car comes into view.Someone moved it there and then kind of forgot about it.It should of really been hauled away to the scrap yard ages ago. Besides it is always there in the way of the guys trying to deliver the coal.

J

JohnReid

This is very entertaining. It reminds me of the David Jones city department store at Christmas time and the animated dioramas in each of its outside windows. Families move along from one window to the next to get to the next stage of the Christmas story.

Thank you Chris for this memory! There was a department store here in Montreal that did somewhat the same thing and people just loved it.All those little noses pressed up against the glass in wide-eyed excitement.Wonderful !

J

JohnReid

Here is a great tutorial on the art of storyboarding:

Storyboard Elements: DVD Course on How To Storyboard by SpongeBob and Disney Storyboard Artist Sherm Cohen

"When you wish upon a star......" Storyboard dioramas by JohnReid.

My photobucket:

Pictures by JohnReid - Photobucket

J

JohnReid

Opening scene from "Once Upon A Time In The West" The cowboy standing in the doorway.This scene has a lot of interesting things going on.Although in the movie we never get to see this row of passenger car windows.Their presence is implied by the shadows falling on the seats.The little room behind the brick wall is never really shown in any detail so I just left it for the natural light.The door behind the cowboy is actually split in two but in this scene it should open to a desert scene which is not part of this closed set.I still have a lot of weathering to do but I think that you get the idea!

J

JohnReid

Want to create your own storyboard diorama ? Here are some things that I have learned along the way.