The Choice

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Next project is a diorama using these three characters.

20221217_212832.jpg

After three very different zenithal primes. (Not really zenithal, more all-over detailing primes). The Beast is going to be blacks, browns, orange and yellow. Kyra will be greens and reds. Hlin will be super-pale, cream, blue, buff, but with very dark axe and shield.

Lovely figures from Black Crow Miniatures, 75mm scale - although the wood nymph is 50mm tall (floor to eyeballs), the ice maiden is 55mm and The Beast is - well he's big.

20221217_213037.jpg20221217_213432.jpg20221217_213744.jpg
20221217_222213.jpg

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Nice detail on those Paul. Should be a fun paint up. The big guy reminds me of a Minotaur. I think it’s the hoofs……bit of the hobbit about the others as well……

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
This was really a priming exercise, from a very dark finish to a very pale one, but using the same three colours. They were all primed black. Then the two humanoids were zenithal primed in Vallejo Desert Tan - one much more heavily then the other.

Then all three had a further zenithal spray of white ink. The Beast had just enough white ink to bring out the detail, while Hlin had lots and lots.

What's surprising (and hard to show in photos) is the impact on Hlin. Although there's virtually no black left visible, the process has created a ton of subtle detail, and made her look much more 'solid' - the best description I could come up with.

20221218_115454.jpg20221217_214022.jpg

What I'm hoping is that they'll all be very different, in colour range and tone, yet be sufficiently uniform to hang together as a group.

We shall see...

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Nice priming. Gives you a good tonal gradient to work from. Good idea to vary the mid tone as well.

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks gents.

So, I've just got in a right old pickle. Mucked up painting Hlin's face, blobs of paint stuck on her eyes had to come off. I've taken her whole face back to the resin.
20221218_153605.jpg
I'm hoping that I can respray just her face (I've tried brush-painting primer on - don't ask). I'm also hoping (faintly) that I can lose the transition between old and new primer in her hair- and jaw-lines. I honestly don't think it'll work, and that I'll have to strip and re-prime the whole model.

Sorry if you find this upsetting (I certainly do!), but I think it's useful to show just what a hot mess we can get ourselves into! 'Under Construction' threads can be waaay too straightforward, sometimes.

"A series of simple steps“ - wasn't that it @Tim Marlow ? :smiling5: If only!

KarlW

Mediocre modeller extraodinaire.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
I think you're right about having to strip all the primer off, to get that hairline sorted the new layer would have to reactivate the old layer, which won't happen with acrylic/polyurethane primers.
But at least it seems to be coming off OK.

JayCee

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Sorry to hear about your troubles, Paul. We have all ben there. me probably more than most.:angry:.
John.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Thanks gents.

So, I've just got in a right old pickle. Mucked up painting Hlin's face, blobs of paint stuck on her eyes had to come off. I've taken her whole face back to the resin.
View attachment 469620
I'm hoping that I can respray just her face (I've tried brush-painting primer on - don't ask). I'm also hoping (faintly) that I can lose the transition between old and new primer in her hair- and jaw-lines. I honestly don't think it'll work, and that I'll have to strip and re-prime the whole model.

Sorry if you find this upsetting (I certainly do!), but I think it's useful to show just what a hot mess we can get ourselves into! 'Under Construction' threads can be waaay too straightforward, sometimes.

"A series of simple steps“ - wasn't that it @Tim Marlow ? :smiling5: If only!
What a shame Paul. Unfortunately I think it’s a strip and respray as well I’m afraid. You have inadvertently illustrated exactly why I don’t like acrylic primers. They are really difficult to work with if you need to carry out any remedial work.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I use cellulose (lacquer) primers most of the time. Trouble is, they are a bit smelly. I only use acrylic primer on my gaming figures.

Just out of interest, do you have any airbrush cleaner? If so, it might be worth using them on a damp brush to try and feather the edge of the stripped area. After all, if you get rid of the ridge you can just spray over the top.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
What ever the method you use they are some detailed figures you have there Paul .Looking fwd to this .

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Thanks - I'll lacquer it. I'd've tried feathering the edges, but I've already started stripping it.
That’s a shame, but you’ll be happier in the long run. Might be worth tidying up the slight roughness on her shield arm if you are completely stripping the figure as well Paul.

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
That’s a shame, but you’ll be happier in the long run. Might be worth tidying up the slight roughness on her shield arm if you are completely stripping the figure as well Paul.
I'll do that - there were one or two other spots needing attention too - it's an ill wind etc. etc.