'The Hunters and the Hunted' - completed builds

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Good evening all

As many of you know, I have been putting together a collection of 1/72 kits and reference material in some way shape or form connected to the British WW2 bomber offensive, with the title being as above - 'The Hunters and the Hunted'.

The idea started when, in late 2019, I bought a Messerschmitt Bf110 G-4 nachtjäger (the 110 is one of favourite planes) and I thought it would be nice to have a Lancaster as a 'companion'; queue the arrival of the Lanc in early 2020. Then as so often happens in our world, the the idea mushroomed and went beyond two kits.

Therefore, as well as including a number of the obviously 'hunted' British bombers and a surprisingly large number of German nachtjäger 'hunters', it also includes some of the British 'hunters' in the form of nightfighters and other 'intruders' that went hunting for the nachtjägd....and that of course were also hunted by those same German planes. In addition to the wingy things, there will be some 'ground dwelling' kits e.g. AA guns, radar and searchlights.

Whilst it's impossible to do every single option/variant of the aircraft involved, I am aiming to do at least one version of the main.....and in some cases, minor.....protagonists.

As you can guess from the title, this thread will be used to display the finished kits in their various forms.

A quick word of thanks to @Ian M for his support in working out where to put this thread, given the mixed themes.

However, the biggest thanks of all goes to our very own Nachtjäger nut/nerd/experte @AlanG for large amounts of night fighter advice provided at the drop of a hat, not to mention providing the inspiration to explore the single engined Wilde Sau concept as part of the collection.

Finally, thanks in advance to all that stop by at some point in the future and provide support and advice.

All the best.

Andrew

Last edited:

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Good evening all

And so onto the background info and completed pictures of this build, the first in this collection.....but first a quick thought on the kits.

Both are AZ Models 1/72 Bf 109 G-6s with the R6 underwing 20mm MG151/20 gun pods.

Whilst these kits aren't out-and-out 'bad', they're not the best and take bit of work to make sure everything lines up, especially the fuselage halves. For example and by contrast, in my experience the newer Airfix 1/72 kits are better. As our very own @colin m put it with regards to AZ Model kits, "...everything is sort of there, but just doesn't quite 'gel'...". They are entirely painted with Vallejo Model Air and Vallejo Game Washes.

As I explained in the build thread the 'Wilde Sau' were single engined fighters (Bf 109s and FW 190s) operating as night fighters against the RAF's bombers in a 'free' role; Wilde Sau is normally translated as Wild Boar. The 'Tame Boar' were the big twin engined night fighters controlled by ground stations. The first such unit was created in the Spring of 1943 was called Jagdgeschwader 300 (JG 300).

My research has revealed next to nothing about one of the JG 300 planes I built, 'White 7'. According to the instructions, the plane is from No. 1 Staffel of JG 300 and was based in Germany in 1944....and that's it.

Yellow 4 and its pilot is though different.

I have found one purported picture of it. Furthermore, in more than one source it is described as one of the 'mounts' of a Manfred Dieterle, of whom I have allegedly come across one photo.

Manfred Dieterle is referenced on many sites/models/decals and according to them, this was not his only plane. In this case Yellow 4 is reported as being based at Hangelar airfield, which is to the north west of the German city of Bonn in the far west of Germany.

According to an article I have found on the Military Print Company website (link HERE) (date unknown), JG300 had 749 'known claims', of which Manfred Dieterle was responsible for nine. Three were British bombers and so fits perfectly, if poignantly, with my theme; the remaining six were all US heavies (see below table). The downing of several US planes reflect the unit's change to the day fighter role in the Spring of 1944, in the face of the increasing US forces and their efforts. However, another article HERE (date unknown) states that the total number of kills for JG300 was 870 but it has the same number and type of of kills for Herr Dieterle.

Thanks to everyone who has followed the build and provided invaluable support, it's what makes this forum such a great place. The build thread can be found HERE.

A special thanks to @Allen Dewire for his 'unique' style of 'direct' encouragement in getting me to start this build....."C'mon Buddy, I ain't getting any younger here.....Get crackin' on 'em Sir!!!...........I wanna see this project come together............" ;) :smiling5:

Finally though, the biggest thanks of all go to @AlanG for the original inspiration and his ongoing support and advice. If you want see what a 1/32 version of a Wild Sau 109 G-6 looks like, have a look at his own version HERE. Alan, As always please feel free to add to (or more likely correct) any of the above.

Anyway enough interesting background information waffle, I hope you enjoy the below pictures. I really have enjoyed the process and despite the odd fault I can find with the finish I really am very pleased with them.

ACW as usual!!

All the best.

Andrew

----------------------------------------------------------------

White 7

Yellow 4 and Manfred Dieterle

Manfred Dieterle, apparently in the white with summer cap (date unknown)

Source: https://www.jg300.de/me-109g-6-rote-1.html

Manfred Dieterle's confirmed kills
Sources:
https://www.military-art.com/mall/squadroninfo.php?SquadronID=233
https://www.asisbiz.com/Luftwaffe/Jagdgeschwader-JG300-Kills.html

DATEUNITJGCLAIMEDLOCATIONTIME
20/01/19443JG 300Halifax-19.48
20/01/19443JG 300Halifax-19.32
21/01/19443JG 300Lancaster-23.24
06/03/1944I.JG 300B-17--
06/03/1944I.JG 300B-17--
26/06/19442JG 300B-24SW Tulln: 6000m9.45
07/07/19442JG 300B-24N. Halberstadt: 6500m9.45
25/07/19442JG 300B-24 HSSBK-CK: 6500m [40km NE Linz]11.1
13/09/19442JG 300B-17SW Eisenach: 7200m12.13-23

Yellow 4 - the real plane and my 'homage'.

Last edited:

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Excellent work and research Andrew
, well done!!

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Just outstanding Andrew.........both planes are excellent examples of what you were after. "Yellow four" is still my Fav, but you deserve the "Dog's" Doodahs for both as far as I'm concerned....well done Sir! :thumb2: :thumb2:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
With out another post or word here it comes .
The Dogs_0.jpg THE DOGS 2 MOD.png

Congratulations Andrew, well deserved, great back story and build .

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Andrew

It's been a pleasure to help you in any way i could. I am not the fountain of all knowledge but it is an area of interest for myself. So thank you for your kind words.

Now onto your builds........

Love them mate. It's been great watching your builds progress. They've turned out very well indeed. e proud of them!

JayCee

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
A very nice pair Andrew. (can I say that?) ;) . Love them both. Looking forward to more.
John.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Two very nice builds. This is some project you have embarked upon.

Could I be cheeky and ask what the kits used are as I could not see them mentioned in the thread... ;)

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Afternoon Andrew,

You are most welcome Sir and I'm glad my "encouragement" helped you to achieve these 2 works of art!!! The results are a true credit to your skills and determination. The finishes are utterly fantastic and I always had to remember that these were in 1/72 scale. I truly cannot wait to see how the next installment develops my friend...

I know you want to finish the Mossie GB first, but if the next build in this series is as good these 2, we are in for a real treat. Drive on Buddy!!!

Prost
Allen

PS, check to my Uli Hoeness Swiss bank account as usual....TIA.....

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Excellent work and research Andrew
, well done!!
Excellent job on both :thumb2:
Just outstanding Andrew.........both planes are excellent examples of what you were after. "Yellow four" is still my Fav, but you deserve the "Dog's" Doodahs for both as far as I'm concerned....well done Sir! :thumb2: :thumb2:
With out another post or word here it comes .
View attachment 461108

Congratulations Andrew, well deserved, great back story and build .
Gentlemen,

Thank you very much indeed for the support, it means a lot to me!!!

John, WOW!!!! I am truly honoured and humbled. Please pass my thanks onto the committee for their generous award!!!

Thank you again!!

Andrew

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Fantastic andrew. Not only two excellent builds but its been a pleasure watching them come together and an insight to an area of wartime history i wasnt too familiar with . Now I want to do a black 109 too! Brilliant work , looking forward to the next chapter , cheers tony

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Andrew

It's been a pleasure to help you in any way i could. I am not the fountain of all knowledge but it is an area of interest for myself. So thank you for your kind words.

Now onto your builds........

Love them mate. It's been great watching your builds progress. They've turned out very well indeed. e proud of them!
Alan

Credit where credit is due, your help has been invaluable and I really enjoyed our discussions too.

Obviously very glad to hear you like the finished builds. I really am very pleased with them.

A very nice pair Andrew. (can I say that?) ;) . Love them both. Looking forward to more.
John.
Thanks John. I've just started my Mossie for the GB and will be starting the thread at the weekend.

Two very nice builds. This is some project you have embarked upon.

Could I be cheeky and ask what the kits used are as I could not see them mentioned in the thread... ;)

Thanks Ian.....I do indeed have a long way to go!!!

They're AZ Models kits. I did say so at the start of the thread but realised it wasn't very obvious, plus I didn't mention the scale, so I've edited the start to make it more obvious.

Very nice Andrew! Well done :thumb2:
Thanks Steven. Glad you like them.

Afternoon Andrew,

You are most welcome Sir and I'm glad my "encouragement" helped you to achieve these 2 works of art!!! The results are a true credit to your skills and determination. The finishes are utterly fantastic and I always had to remember that these were in 1/72 scale. I truly cannot wait to see how the next installment develops my friend...

I know you want to finish the Mossie GB first, but if the next build in this series is as good these 2, we are in for a real treat. Drive on Buddy!!!

Prost
Allen

PS, check to my Uli Hoeness Swiss bank account as usual....TIA.....
Glad you like them Allen and thanks for the compliment!!

Actually my upcoming Mossie kills two birds with one stone, obviously as part of the GB but it also counts towards this collection as a hunter of the nachtjägd.

As for the 'check', FYI the correct English spelling is 'cheque'!! ;) :smiling5:.....I just need to find my cheque book though!!!

Thanks again.

Andrew

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Fantastic andrew. Not only two excellent builds but its been a pleasure watching them come together and an insight to an area of wartime history i wasnt too familiar with . Now I want to do a black 109 too! Brilliant work , looking forward to the next chapter , cheers tony
Tony

Glad you enjoyed the process as well as the finished articles!

Coming from someone of your skill, the fact I've inspired you is a real compliment!!

Thanks again for stopping by.

ATB.

Andrew

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hello Andrew, while I almost never look at those "flying thingies" being the mud rat that I am, I thought I would give yours a peek.
Nice clean work and excellent air brushing technique, very well done indeed ;)

Jim.

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hello Andrew, while I almost never look at those "flying thingies" being the mud rat that I am, I thought I would give yours a peek.
Nice clean work and excellent air brushing technique, very well done indeed ;)

Jim.
What can I say Jim but thank you!!

To have tempted you to take a peek is one thing. But given the, never than less, outstanding quality of your builds your comments are high praise indeed!!

All the best.

Andrew

Last edited: