The Motorbike Thread

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
The 4th shot is the B120 ( 3rd was Suzuki 250 Super Six 1967 ! ) probably what you meant - I bought it as a commuter bike after the 250 died and part exchanged it when I bought the Bonneville !
Got it. I think I was confused because my 120 was the same ‘orrible blue grey colour……did yours have the “toe and heel” gear change lever?

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
You have to start somewhere - not ashamed of it, commuted to work in London and took my girlfriend ( now, still my wife! ) on holiday to Weymouth for a week.......
Started off red and white and I turned it into a black SX200 mean machine :tears-of-joy: :tears-of-joy: View attachment 452175View attachment 452176
200cc of unbridled, pure raw power - mmmm! Love your Lady's flares and platforms -may I suggest she clearly possessed a more stylish instinct at that time than your good self! :hugging-face: (Sorry, couldn't resist a dig mate!)
Steve

Gavalaar1980

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
I used to ride trial/MX bikes in my younger day. I had an old Kawasaki ke125 1983 registration which I bought for £350 and rode hell for leather on stubble fields back in the day; was great fun. Also rode a CR125 and a Husqvarna 450 which was a beast! Not so much a fan of road riding, found off roading more fun and safer (no traffic to worry about!).

I went to the IOM TT once; was a great experience. Much respect to the TT riders because I wouldn't be brave enough to attempt that course!

therapy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nick
I've decided the time has come to thin out my modest motorcycle collection so over the summer I spent some time giving this one a bit of a spruce up.

20220928_143557.jpg

Took it out for MOT yesterday and of course really enjoyed riding it - first time in at least fifteen years.

Nick

simontie

SMF Supporter
First Name
simon
Thats really nice & clean not many going about, it will be worth a few quit now and fun to ride id keep it, 1980? Worth more now than when the were new
simon.

therapy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nick
It's a 1979 and would have been well under a thousand pounds when new. We paid 80 quid for it in 1986 - it was a bit of a wreck - and it was my wife's bike after she passed her test. It was parked up when we were expecting our first child.

After slumbering for about ten years, the bike was restored around the turn of the century when parts were still plentiful. Try getting a new oem full exhaust or plastics these days. I rode it for a few years but the last tax disc expired in 2005.

This year it's had new tyres and battery plus a bit of wiring work and other small bits to bring it up to scratch.

Value now? £3 - 4k....

It's great fun to ride, but keeping on top of all the MOTs, tax and insurance can become a bit of a burden.

Nick

simontie

SMF Supporter
First Name
simon
yea parts are a bit of a night mare, my old XT250 iv not quite finished was a cheap buy but bits are like hens teeth or a dr's appointment!!!
I remember finding a pair of original foot pegs with the rubber infills nearly new, owner would not part with them but all that said she is just about complete iv had to use some lesser desirably items but I will change them out once I find them!!(if)
is the DT not tax and mot exempt now?
I have the 250 in my stash 1/12
simon

therapy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nick
I worry that this historic tax status will be used to beat us up at some point - only to be used every other Tuesday in January or some such.... I'll leave that to the next owner if they so choose....

I think the XT250 was rarer than any DT...

Nick

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Nice…….just out of interest, how does it handle?

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Seem to recall the old hog trikes didn't corner well, but they had a shorter wheelbase than what you pictured.

simontie

SMF Supporter
First Name
simon
Looks like alot of fun, let us know how so handles and more pic when you run it in
beach looks great toooo…
simon