The one who got away…Bf 109E-4

Magneto

Oberleutnant
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I heard the few old Eddy kits had some issues in fit and scale. I can see why. I’m not overly joyous with the ‘rebox’ mode. I think it can hide some shortcomings. This kit was originally released in 2012 so one of the early ones. I still like the overall business ‘model’ of Eduard which is why I have purchased a fair few.

The trouble with early Eduard was that the Emils had (and still do) and engine and cowling gun bays. I think it tries to do both a buttoned up and display version. This is a mistake. There is a reason why Eduard has scaled cowlings and engine covers with their resin enhancements - when the engine is placed in and you want it closed up you are supposed to shave off the front end of the engine block.
I just ignored the whole engine. The exhausts can be fitted with a scratch bracket.

The fits seem good in terms of tolerances but I’m not sure these were tested with paint. Ive managed to test fit mine many times until I was happy.

Anyway the pilot of this plane crash landed a few miles from where I live so I have a nice little connective narrative to ‘build’ upon.

IMG_4014.jpeg

Magneto

Oberleutnant
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
A rather mundane update. However the build experience thus far has been generally alright. I’ve made a small but irritating error - but I’m not in the mood to go back hacking and slashing - the aim of these early builds is to get some time and practice under my belt for when I start to use my new compressor and airbrush.

I think this goes for all Eddies Emils - if you are going to close up the cowling I would suggest not bothering with the engine at all. You don’t need a home for the prop and the radiator grills are apart from the engine block. That goes for the cowling MGs. In fact I would chop and file everything flat off the MG tray and file down the IP backing.

PE - for the most part I’ve found it annoying and unnecessary. Maybe I just need more time to get accustomed to using it but some of those parts are incredibly difficult for application. Seriously, the underwing cooler intake strut has no attachment points and the PE is tiny which means no contact area to secure it. There are 2 waver thin PE wires that link the tail rudder to fuselage - I will make my own. It’s a good job my reserve supply of patience is not yet exhausted

Im also going to go back to ‘old school’ painting of the IP. I see far too much reliance on PE IPs and for little gain. I love the Eddy w/end kits but the lack of masks can be frustrating - the way around that is to practice one’s own DIY masking skills. Of course, all these points are just my own views and I don’t expect anyone else to prescribe to them.

After I made big plans to expose part of the front I had to go in a different direction. Next time I shall be much the wiser.

All that said I am impressed by Eduard PE notwithstanding. And let’s not forget this is an older kit (rebox of 2012?) so the newer kits I have should be a little easier. If time is taken to test fit pre & post painting then there should be no problems.
Lastly, and to reiterate the point - I recently read that Mr Eduard confesses to only test building the unpainted kits. You can make of that what you will…

IMG_4038.jpeg

Last edited:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
PE - for the most part I’ve found it annoying and unnecessary.
This is completely what I would expect of Eduard, whose main business has always been selling photoetched detail sets in which half the parts replaced perfectly good plastic kit parts by inferior etched ones :smiling3:

Magneto

Oberleutnant
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
This is completely what I would expect of Eduard, whose main business has always been selling photoetched detail sets in which half the parts replaced perfectly good plastic kit parts by inferior etched ones :smiling3:
hilariously true lol!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
On the other hand, the rest of those parts lift the model far beyond what is possible in plastic. They also address the total lack of seatbelts and the various degrees of invention found in the cockpits of most aircraft kits. If you believed the kit manufacturers you’d think pilots used cardboard boxes for equipment, and sat in bucket seats and bounced all over the cockpit in a dogfight……

Magneto

Oberleutnant
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
On the other hand, the rest of those parts lift the model far beyond what is possible in plastic. They also address the total lack of seatbelts and the various degrees of invention found in the cockpits of most aircraft kits. If you believed the kit manufacturers you’d think pilots used cardboard boxes for equipment, and sat in bucket seats and bounced all over the cockpit in a dogfight……
I was going to say - the belts are a good thing - no question. And some of the cockpit placards are really neat (only a matter of time before they start adding the ‘space’ ones) but some of those PE are more of a burden than a boon.

I gave up with the T bar IP switch on this kit
IMG_4042.jpeg

but you can hardly imagine my horror when I discovered this is replicated with the 1/72 kit!

So, in some respects Jakko was right on the money but I also greatly appreciate the positive aspects of Mr Eduard kits - that’s why I have so many of them in my stash!

Magneto

Oberleutnant
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Anyway Tim, this one’s for you! A new 2024 Airfix kit - puts Eduard to shame!
IMG_4043.jpeg

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I was going to say - the belts are a good thing - no question. And some of the cockpit placards are really neat (only a matter of time before they start adding the ‘space’ ones) but some of those PE are more of a burden than a boon.

I gave up with the T bar IP switch on this kit
View attachment 501847

but you can hardly imagine my horror when I discovered this is replicated with the 1/72 kit!

So, in some respects Jakko was right on the money but I also greatly appreciate the positive aspects of Mr Eduard kits - that’s why I have so many of them in my stash!
Out of those I’d use 5 and 6, and file 13 and 14 up from Peco track pins…..18 and 20 I’d probably make from wire with a blob of flattened solder on the ends. To be honest, I buy those sets for the IPs, belts, and control box fronts. I rarely use much else on the fret.
As to the Airfix kit that looks like a legacy moulding to me…..

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
On the other hand, the rest of those parts lift the model far beyond what is possible in plastic.
True, it’s very much a case of taking a critical look at the etched parts and seeing if they add anything or not.

If you believed the kit manufacturers you’d think pilots used cardboard boxes for equipment, and sat in bucket seats and bounced all over the cockpit in a dogfight……
Better than sitting on a bar across the fuselage, anyway ;)

Magneto

Oberleutnant
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Put on Matt varnish - didnt go as well as expected. Anyway it’s done! On to the next one: I’m kind of tired of necrobuilds so might crack open a new kit.

Points for this build:

Need to get a system for antenna wires.
Add on smaller pieces earlier.
Get a system for painting and weathering - not going back and forth
Varnish: I had trouble seeing it go on through gun so overspray almost inevitable.

Overall Im reasonably happy as I took this on as a half build. My whole repertoire of building needs to be systemised! That is reduce (cut out the to and fro and faff) to a system or method.

Thanks for watching guys!
(I didnt mean thank you for watching the guys - I meant thank you for watching this build my friends!)

IMG_4172.jpegIMG_4171.jpegIMG_4170.jpeg

IMG_4169.jpeg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Lovely job paul , handy info for anyone considering the Eduard 109s . The paint looks great . Im just starting the Airfix 1/72 version of this very aircraft , im intending to do it as it was found in the field after von Werra had been taken away . Cheers tony

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Yep, very nice outcome indeed, you've made a better job of it than i did earlier this year. :thumb2:
Good stuff :hugging-face:

Magneto

Oberleutnant
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Lovely job paul , handy info for anyone considering the Eduard 109s . The paint looks great . Im just starting the Airfix 1/72 version of this very aircraft , im intending to do it as it was found in the field after von Werra had been taken away . Cheers tony
Thank you for your encouragement Tony. I still have a ways to go but each kit/trial will get me closer to being more competent!

Magneto

Oberleutnant
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Very nice finish, a top result,

My missus doesn't mind 'watching guys', but soon complains when I 'watch girls'...(talk about double standards eh?)
Thanks Chris! Yeh, It really was a silly comment - sometimes my humour gets the better of me lol