Barry
Here are the SIG stats so far - 18 builds started

13 Airfix Builds

3 Trumpeter Builds

1 Vintage Fighter

1 Revell

Spitfire V's

- 5 Airfix

- 2 Trumpeter (1 Trop and 1 with floats)

Hurricanes

- 2 Airfix

- 1 Trumpeter (Trop)

Harriers

- 3 Airfix, one a Sea Harrier

Typhoons

- 3 Airfix, one a 'cut-away'

One Sopwith Camel - Revell

One P47 - Vintage Fighter

A nice mix, not just of types but in different approaches to the builds.

I am a bit surprised that there are not more Trumpeters but then they are rather more expensive than Airfix (apart from the Typhoon that is...)

Pity there is no Mosquito - but this kit is being re-released this year by Airfix so you never know!!

P

Polux

Nice point Barry!

About Trumpeter, in my model shop all the 1/24 planes are Airfix.... :sad: maybe they are more difficult to find, apart of the price..........

Personally I miss some German planes.....

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Amazin' that there aren't any Germans in there! It's not as if there aren't any made .....

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I would have loved to enter a Bf109, but keep in mind all us poor saps on limited income ( you listening, Mr. Osborne?) who can't afford to enter this in any shape or form....the Mosquito is simply a dream!

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
There's a year to do it.

IF I can get my Spitfire finished (which I didn't pay for and have to do first) I would contemplate doing something German. I would probably have invested my savings in a Trumpeter Bf 109 G-10 or Fw 190 D-9, but the Spitfire floatplane is cool and the girls obviously liked the look of it :smiling3:

Ron makes a valid point about the cost of anything other than the old Airfix kits. They can be had very reasonably but I've made them before and wouldn't really fancy doing battle with one again!

The Trumpeter kits typically come in for around eighty quid, which is definitely a substantial investment. If you add some after market bits, maybe some paint masks etc you can easily push that over a ton.

Cheers

Steve

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
There's a year to do it.The Trumpeter kits typically come in for around eighty quid, which is definitely a substantial investment. If you add some after market bits, maybe some paint masks etc you can easily push that over a ton.

Cheers

Steve
Yes, indeed, there is a year to complete the build, but as you point out Steve, it's still a lot of money and that amount on a single kit I can't justify. Don't even mention the crazy prices the add-ons cost!

Hey ho! To each his own.

Luv and pees man,

Ron

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
it's still a lot of money and that amount on a single kit I can't justify. Don't even mention the crazy prices the add-ons cost!Hey ho! To each his own.
You are not wrong. I paid precisely nothing for my kit, but the extras I've ordered would buy another average 1/32 kit!

Even so, this remains a relatively cheap hobby. There are many much more expensive hobbies and pastimes :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
\ said:
There are many much more expensive hobbies and pastimes :smiling3: Cheers

Steve
Yeah! Like being married!

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Yeah! Like being married!
Very true Dave, but I'm not sure I'd call it a hobby :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Hey Ron! Just a thought.

If you bought one of the Airfix kits, which are not too expensive, that would keep you busy for quite a while (I know they're lots of work but you have the talent so that wouldn't be a problem). And, of course, while you're doing that, you wouldn't be doing any dios, so you wouldn't need any pizza bases, so you wouldn't need to buy any pizzas - so you'd get back the cost of the kit!

Sometimes I astound myself with my own brilliance!

Now I've solved your money problem for this SSIG what you gonna go for?

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Now Ade is in - here is the update:

SIG stats so far - 19 builds started

14 Airfix Builds

3 Trumpeter Builds

1 Vintage Fighter

1 Revell

Spitfire V's

- 5 Airfix

- 2 Trumpeter (1 Trop and 1 with floats)

Hurricanes

- 2 Airfix

- 1 Trumpeter (Trop)

Harriers

- 3 Airfix, one a Sea Harrier

Typhoons

- 3 Airfix, one a 'cut-away'

Mustangs

- 1 Airfix

One Sopwith Camel - Revell

One P47 - Vintage Fighter

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I was looking at the EE Lightning, but then saw the size of it and then saw the Spit in a sale so got that (£45'ish) while I had the chance.